Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freezing pipes

Help!
    What is the best way to keep heat pipes from freezing in an un heated crawl space?

It is nearly impossible to access for a large adult crawling on his belly.

Do I try to insulate the walls, or wrap the pipes somehow. Thanks much.

Bill

Hi Bill. Welcome to the forum. One sure way is to wrap them with a heat tracing cable. Hube

Comment

Hire a thin teenager!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bill1200

Help!
        What is the best way to keep heat pipes from freezing in an un heated crawl space?

It is nearly impossible to access for a large adult crawling on his belly.

Do I try to insulate the walls, or wrap the pipes somehow. Thanks much.

Bill
        I'm not saying this is the best way,but it will work and its an easy fix.install a drop light with a 60 watt bulb in it. the heat from the light bulb will keep it from freezing.TAZ

nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.
        nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.

Comment

I would say it depends on how long a run of pipes it is. I am also windering - what is that line(s) feeding. If it is simply an exterior faucet, that can be corrected quite differently than if the lines feed say half the house... Having said that;

The heat cables are usually pretty costly to run and are limited in length. If it is a short run though, it is a pretty good idea. Regardless, I think it is always a good idea to insulate the pipes (you local hardware store will sell pipe insulation and it is pretty cheap. You can also bite the bullet and insulate the entire space. It is a one time sunk cost, but insulating done properly is a great idea for the long run.

Best of Luck!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =