Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracked pipe

Hello, i have a crack in a pipe on a reducer. The crack is about an inch long and really narrow. can I just solder the crack up, or should I replace the pipe?

Is this pipe copper ? (you mentioned soldering the crack), from my experience it's very difficult to solder repair a cracked fitting, not to say it cannot be done but it's usually just as easy to remove the effected pipe and fit in new.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the reply... It is a copper pipe, and I think I will try to replace it myself.

Now my next question and hopefully someone can help. This pipe goes to my outside waterspout. From what it looks like it goes from a smaller copper pipe to lager pipe that goes outside that is connected to the waterspout.

Is there different pipes i should be concerned about? The bigger pipe looks different than smaller pipe. the smaller pipe looks more copper looking and the bigger pipe looks darker and not like copper. Are these two types of pipe? I have seen type L and type M. can someone explain what type of pipe i should be using?

thank you

Comment

Is this a frost-proof hose bibb?

If so the hose bibb requires replacement...

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

the darker pipe is copper but has developed an oxide coating on it. it is probably 3/4 inch and tees off to the outside faucet.

Comment

Ok, I have no idea what I am doing with plumbing but looking to do it myself anyways. Looks fun.

so the 1/2 inch pipe needs to go to a 3/4ths pipe and is done by a reducer. That much I got. I was looking in the hardware store and looking to get my stuff when I grabbed a 1/2 pipe and tried to put it on the 1/2 side of the reducer... Well 1/2 wouldn't go on the 1/2 side of the reducer cuz its the same size.

So how do I get the 1/2 pipe in the reducer if its the same size? I'm not a plumber

Comment

3/4 copper to 1/2 copper

take a look at my diagram. use EITHER fix --- a piece of 3/4, a reducer coupling 3/4X1/2 inch, or a 3/4 X 1/2 inch bushing. the 1/2 inch copper will fit inside the bushing and it, in turn will fit the 3/4 inch T off the main line.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =