Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious moisture on bathroom floor

Hi everybody. Several times in the past few weeks, I've noticed moisture collecting around the toilet in my lower level bathroom. There is no obvious leak from the toilet, and no apparent pattern to the problem. Usually I discover it because the mat around the toilet is wet. At first I thought it was just condensation due to the humidity, but now I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Check the supply connections and the tank to bowl connections for leakage.

Recheck the tank to bowl while flushing...

Failing to find one there leaves the wax ring usually as the culprit...
    Especially if the toilet moves and is loose to the floor...
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

if your water temperature is cooler than the room temperature you will get condensation off the bowl and tank. about 20 years ago they sold a chromed tray that fit the bottom of the tank with a small drain hose into the bowl. condensate would drip off the tank, got collected in the tray and drained into the bowl.

Comment

Pretty much the exact same thing was happening to my Mom.

When I took the lid off the tank, I could see that the plastic fill valve assembly was cracked and that every time the toilet was flushed, water would spray out from it. That water just happened to be aimed at the joint between the tank and lid in the back so the water would run down the outside of the bowl, unseen by anyone, and soak the rug below it.

Replaced that fill valve and everything was good.
        Dan

Comment

If Condensation is the issue...
          Quite often that would be an indicator of a toilet with a leaking flapper or, a bag fill valve where water is almost always running through the toilet and the water in the tank never warms up to ambient temperatures...
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll investigate those suggestions and see if anything solves the problem.

Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =