Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compression tank

I have a compression tank that adds pressure to the incoming water from the shared well in my neighborhood. The main line from the pump has a leak and we've lost our water. Do I need to turn off the power to this compression tank system while the water is off?

I'm not sure what you mean by compression tank. a storage tank with an air bladder inside is charged through an air valve on top of the tank. this inflates a rubber bladder inside the tank. it is there to produce a back pressure when the system is full of water and serves to dampen the pump pulsations when the pump is running. when there's a leak in the system, gravity will drain the line through the leak, the tank pressure will level off but won't really contribute to make it leak faster.

Comment

correct

you have the correct system I'm talking about, just trying to figure out if I need to have the power off to it until the water source gets fixed.

Comment

no need to power off the pump as it'll just keep trying to maintain pressure. you'll find it'll just either keep running until system pressure is satisfied or will "short - cycle" off-on until the pressure switch is satisfied. get the leak repaired! running the pump too many times in a cycle will just weaken the pump.

Comment

If your leak is source side and not pressure side, I would turn off the pumps etc. The main pump underground that brings the water up to the surface is leaking at the well head? I would shut it off yesterday, if the pipe cracks off all the way it can be one hell of an expense to retrieve it when it falls down inside...

HandymanTrainer

Comment

Working...
          X
          =