Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd sounds coming from two commodes

This is a second posting for today - I did attempt to use the concern at the end of a previous posting, and when I asked for it to be posted - I was greeted with the message that I was not logged in - or whatever. Apparently I had taken too long to make the entry.

I will try again - with this concern -

I wonder if anyone "out there" might have any ideas about another problem I am experiencing.

In April 2008 I had a new Gould pump installed in my well. At that time "they" also installed a new Gould HydroPro water system tank in the cellar.
    (Apparently with a max working pressure 124.) I note that because I don't know if it could have any bearing on something that takes place rather frequently - for which I have no explanation.

That is, for some time now, I am aware of water activity taking place within each of the commodes. The commodes do not flush, but I can hear water activity within.

It sounds like - if I were living in such as an apartment building - and a neighbor flushed their commode. This take place at least once a day - at different times of the day - and during the night. At a time that I have NOT used the commode.

I would be hard pressed to tell you when it started - it has been awhile now.

I would appreciate any input you might offer.

the purpose of the well pump is to pump water into a storage tank. the storage tank may or may not have an air bladder to restrict the pump oscillations and provide a back pressure to the system. when the system pressure decreases below a set point, the pump turns on and attempts to refill the tank and re-pressurize the system. if, however the demand on the system is constant, as in taking a shower, the pump will continue to operate to replace the water that is drawn off. the system pressure may drop from the normal 45-50 psi to something smaller like 25-30 lbs. the flow rate will decrease. once the shower is done with the pump will keep on running trying to "catch up" to what was lost. eventually it will and cause the system to re-pressurize and shut off. people with city water don't have to worry about this because system pressures are about 80-85 psi and constant.

Comment

Thank you HayZee518 - however, does that mean I do have a problem?

Did whatever I had noted in my first message provide you with enough information to make a judgement concerning why this might be happening?

I don't know if the Gould HydroPro water system tank has that air bladder you referred to - I will look to see if I can find any printed material the workers might have left behind.
      I will also see if I can find anything on the Gould website that would tell me if so.

Last night after going to bed - and in a light sleep phase - no activity taking place within the household - I was awakened by the activity of the commode - or whatever. Again toward morning.

Should I contact the company that installed the two units to ask them to look at it?

Again, thanking you for any advice provided.

Comment

two things to look a both toilets. the flapper valve in the tank may be leaking demanding more water be added to the tank - and/or - the float valve called a ball cock. may be the level is too high and water is escaping through the overflow pipe off the right of the ball cock

Comment

The activity in the commodes you are referring to may be what we plumbers refer to as a ghost flush. This is often caused by a leaking flapper that slowly drains the tank level down until the fill valve opens to refill the tank.

Have a look see at this link.
          How to Test a Toilet for Leakage Click Here
          Last edited by Redwood; 08-09-2009, 04:23 PM.
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Wired sounds coming from two commodes

I did check this posting on Aug 10th and printed out the file, including the responses from HayZee518 and Redwood -

I want to thank each of them for their input - it is most certainly appreciated.

I did go to the file suggested by Redwood "How to test a Toilet for Leakage" -
            printed that out and found it most informative.

I did not respond immediately, because I wanted to have a conversation with my "work person" - I believe he will be coming here tomorrow morning, should the weather decide to be accommodating. And, before we settle down to the "business at hand" - I want to present this information to him.

Perhaps this problem might well be resolved without undue effort on his part.

Again, thank you, I will be back.

Comment

older overflow tubes were made of brass and later white plastic with two "nubs" near the bottom. the rubber float whether black or red rubber had two ears with holes in them which fit over the nubs. later on they eliminated the nubs and the round portion of the flapper slid over the overflow pipe and you could adjust the flapper up or down on the overflow tube to get the best seal. check this out before you go to anymore expense with a tech or plumber. it may be just an up or down adjustment. also the float level on the ball cock may be right at the top of the overflow tube so any water leaking past might be enough to start water flow in the ballcock. adjust the float down a half inch. fluid-master is a name of a ballcock.

Comment

Wierd sounds coming from two commodes

I have returned to this posting to update the entry.

My "work person" came to my home on 8-27-2009 bringing along a generic ballcock that he put into the tank in the large bathroom. Several days later I was aware of the "ghost flushing" - I went to press gently to the left side of the ballcock - and stayed to monitor the activity - I could see the water level in the tank increasing - that worked (I have not noted a problem in that area since.)

The commode in my bedroom bath turned out to be a more difficult problem.
                Somewhere along the line I had found the website FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY dot COM the largest award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath Internet catalog since 1995 provides great service. We have the largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with 2,546 pages of a complete plumbing .

The problem: to identify the model number of the Eljer toilet that had been put in place in 1974. The webside FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY dot COM the largest award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath Internet catalog since 1995 provides great service. We have the largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with 2,546 pages of a complete plumbing had a section showing photos of the many Eljer toilets - not there.

When my "work person" was here on 8-27-2009 I did see a number 2152B imprinted inside the tank. We went to the Plumbing Supply website and somehow (I did not write down the manner) - we found what I will refer to as a listing of generic parts.

I ordered two "Radiator Specialty B-254 Tite Seal Tank Ball" units. My thoughts - not all that costly and if they worked it would provide me with a "backup" item. I placed the order on 8-27-2009 at 11:00AM and the package arrived via Priority Mail on 8-29-2009. (California to Pennsylvania in two days - remarkable!)

My "work person" returned on 8-31-2009 and put the new ballcock in the bedroom commode. He did tell me that he would expect that I would have problems with the ballcock settling "in place" for awhile. I did experience "ghost flushing" off and on - I went to gently touch the left side of the ballcock and that would solve the problem. Sept 5th was the last time I had made a notation concerning "ghost flushing".

I honestly feel that the above noted activity along with what I had noted in the 9-20-2009 update on my posting "Need Plumbing Advice" has resolved my current plumbing problems.

Even with "Pushkins" parting shot on that posting - I want to thank the contributors for their kind assistance. I truly do feel the problems have been resolved.

Comment

Hey I think i took a shot too...
                  Small price to pay for good free advice...

Sound s like you are all set then...
                  Thats a good thing!
                  I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                  Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                  Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                  Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =