Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Spigot Question

I have a question regarding an outside spigot (hose bib?). I recently had it replaced when the house was resided. However, the new one, after it has been off awhile, takes a good 15-20 seconds for water to come out after it has been turned on. Once the water stops flowing it can be turned on and off as normal. Weird. I spoke to the contractor and he is going to replace it. (Although the inside access is tough, I can tell that there is no leak in the wall.)

Today, while at my daughters townhouse, I went to use the sipot outside her unit and the same thing happened. (She told me that the association just replaced this one also.)

I'm wondering, do the new ones have some sort of "delay" in them? Just seems odd that the same thing happened to two new ones.

Thanks for your thoughts. By the way... we're in northern Illinois, so the spigots are the freeze proof ones.

the outside spigots are called hydrants - just like the fire hydrant at the street. the valve part is located at the bottom of the outlet pipe which extends outside of the dwelling. the length of this pipe determines how long it is before the water shows up at the hose connection. shouldn't be that long 2-3 seconds max~

Comment

Some of the frost proof hose bibbs have a washer which if pressed too hard into the seat can jam in there pretty good. The opening of the washer is not a positive opening but is spring loaded and relies on the water pressure to push it open. Try not closing it as hard but just hard enough that it shuts off. If it doesn't open after being closed all winter shut off the water loosen the packing nut and take the stem almost all the way out then screw it back in tighten the packing nut and turn the water back on it should work fine.
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate it. I'll experiment with it by not turning it off so tightly.

Comment

OK. So it's been over a year. (I probably should have replied much earlier, but I forgot about it until I stumbled on my bookmark.)

Not tighteninig it hard when shutting it off did the trick. It worked great when I turned it on for the first time in the spring an ever since. Thanks again.

Comment

Glad to hear it worked for you!
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =