Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a simple question (I hope!)

We accidentally hit our underground PVC water pipe when digging a hole. We needed to repair it quickly and had 'almost' everything needed....only missing one connector......we Did however, have a right-sized (never used before) electrical conduit piece, which, in desperation we used. I have been reading on posts here to Never use pipe not intended for it's purpose, (for indentification, specifically), but is there likely to be any danger of toxicity or that the PVC glue used (correct for the white pipe) might not hold? It is only approx. 2" long 'outside' piece connecting the white pipes, but water may make contact. We have not covered over the hole for over a month waiting to see if it was secure and it seems to be fine.....just want to be sure before burying it again. Thanks for any insight to this 'small' question....

The biggest problem you face is that electrical conduit is NOT intended for any pressure at all, while water pressure is probably around only 30 ish PSI it is pressure none the less. As well without a doubt it doesn't meet code.
    Electrical conduit is almost always grey and water is white the glues used are very different as well, most PVC glue is none toxic, almost all electrical conduit glue is very toxic, (it's usually grey).
    If it were me, and a fairly easy fix, it might be worth your time cutting this section out and installing the correct schedule 40 pipe. All you need is 2 couplings and a section of pipe.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the timely response!...It seems the SMART thing to do, as you suggest, is to roll up our sleeves and do it over right...before covering it up where any future leakage might go unnoticed. Better safe than sorry.
      Appreciate your input.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =