Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time at Home Repair (Leaky Tub Spout)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time at Home Repair (Leaky Tub Spout)

Hello all.

Realized the other day that water drips continuously from the tub spout even when the tub/shower is not being used.

As the title suggests, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to home repair. I did replace a garbage disposal before and boy was that an experience.

I digress. From what I can gather, it is a Delta tub spout with a pull-down diverter.

Can anyone provide me with any suggestions/hints/advice? Initially I thought maybe it was a problem with maybe an O-ring (whatever that circular rubber thing is called) or something in the spout. However, I can't for the life of me figure out if I can take a look without removing the entire spout from the wall.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

P.S. Sorry for sounding like a complete newbie!

no problem. it isn't sooo bad. find an access panel on the reverse side of your tub/shower. if there are line valves in there shut both of them off. if no access panel then the MAIN cold water valve and the HOT WATER output valve on your hot water heater should be shut off. If you have an electric hot water tank, shut off the breaker. if it is gas, turn the main valve to the PILOT position if it has a standing pilot. using a one eighth allen wrench, remove the delta handle. the allen screw is up top near the back of the wall. then using padded channel lock pliers, remove the chromed semi circular nut with the triangular cutout from the valve. there should be a rubber lined nylon packing atop a round ball. remove this. next pull out the ball. watch carefully, there's a pin that sticks out of the valve into the ball. the ball has to be put back in the same way. look into the valve bottom and remove the two cup shaped rubber seats and springs. replace these with a new set of seats and springs. replace the ball and all the hardware in pretty much the same way you took them out. replace the chromed semi circular nut and tighten easily so that the ball still turns in all directions. turn the water back on and check for leaks. when you are satisfied replace the handle and turn on the hot water heater breaker or gas valve to ON.

Comment

I'd tread very lightly on this one...
      A lot of the Delta valves have a front section that is connected to the rear section with 3 small tubes....

When you try to unscrew the nut that holds the valve together many DIYers, and Handyman types shear the 3 tubes off ruining the valve and forcing it to be replaced....

In a sense it turns a $260 job for a plumber into a $650 job...

There are also quite a few other configurations than the ball type Hayzee mentioned.
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =