Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to plumb my sump pump

i installed a sump pump 5 years ago or so. it only is needed 2-3 times a year. However, when it is needed there is one thing that drives me INSANE!! I put the pump in the pit and connected PVC to go up about 40 in and over about 20 in and out to the garage. I put a "check valve" at the end of the PVC and that is where i attach the flexible hose and run it out to the curb. The problem is that when the pump stops running, there is a "rattle" in the PVC as the water drains back down the PVC and into the pit (i presume thats the cause) Why doesnt the check valve prevent that noise from occuring?? I thought that was the point of using the one-way valve in the first place. I think the problem is that there isnt proper venting for the water that is in the hose when the pump stops. What do i need to do to eliminate that NOISE?? Any help is appreciated!!

the check valve should be put about a foot up the vertical pipe from the pump and have a 3/8 inch weep hole drilled in the pipe above the check valve and the run continued up and out of the house. the check valve will close at the end of the pump cycle and some residual water in the pipe will drain back into your pit from the weep hole. the pump's impeller is of the positive pressure type and water running back wards through it causes the pump to vibrate and rotate backwards. also, maybe the pump's "head" is too high and for the pump to overcome the head causes a slight strain until the motor comes up to operating speed.

Comment

Wont the water be "shooting" out of a 3/8 in hole in the pipe when the pump is running??

Comment

some will but the force the pump's ejecting water will be greater than what the weep hole can handle.

Comment

You need that weep hole to allow water to enter the pump after the pit has dried out or the pump would be airbound and not prime.
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =