Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a DIY job?

Greetings all,

I have achieved a "perfect plumbing storm" of sorts and need to know if this is something I can tackle myself. I have two simultaneous problems:

1) Air bubbling in the downstairs (i.e. lowest) toilet whenever someone showers or takes a bath upstairs. I know that this is a pretty good indication that we have a partial blockage somewhere in the main drain line.

2) Probably due to the above, the main drain stack is leaking. I've been under the house (foundation crawlspace) and have seen it leak when a toilet is flushed or tub is drained. The leaks appear to be coming from the couplings where the drain lines from the downstairs toilet, sink and washing machine join the stack.

My guess is that the partial blockage has led to the leaks.

Is repairing/replacing the bottom of the main stack something that a reasonably intelligent DIYer can handle?

I plan on taking my digital camera up under the house and photographing the bottom of the stack, then head over to Lowes or Home Despot and pick up the fittings/couplings...etc. that I need.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!
    Norm in NC

if the remaining piping on the stack is reasonably tight or braced so there's no vertical movement yes, other wise you'll need to clamp it in such a way that you can remove the lower sections or pieces to effect a repair. the solvent cement you use, get some with solids in it. is this drain plastic or cast iron?

Comment

House was built in 1977... drain stack (and fittings/couplings) are black plastic, so I'm guessing it's ABS?

Comment

black is abs. cement is black but you can get some with solids in the cement. additionally you can also use fernco couplings.

Comment

I simple Fernco seems the best option, it would be a fairly quick repair, without having to worry about cutting out the faulty section and gluing in a new piece with fittings (if required) Unless there wasn't enough glue to start with and you can pull the leaking fitting apart and re glue it.
          lowe's/HD sell fernco's as well as ABS pipe and fittings.
          Don't forget to snake the pipe to clear that blockage.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

air bubbling and leak

For sure air bubbling means you've got a blockage or obstruction. Water is not flowing away fast enough. If it's backing up and leaking from a poor joint, that joint should be addressed, but isn't a major concern once the blocked drain is cleared.
            My advice would be to act asap. A partial blockage can quickly turn into a more serious situation, which you certainly want to avoid. Bad smells, flooding, hygiene risks etc.
            For the little amount it costs vs the amount of trouble you can cause, I'd go a local drainage contractor in option. It will save a lot of money and hassle in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by citydrains View Post
              For sure air bubbling means you've got a blockage or obstruction. Water is not flowing away fast enough. If it's backing up and leaking from a poor joint, that joint should be addressed, but isn't a major concern once the blocked drain is cleared.
              My advice would be to act asap. A partial blockage can quickly turn into a more serious situation, which you certainly want to avoid. Bad smells, flooding, hygiene risks etc.
              For the little amount it costs vs the amount of trouble you can cause, I'd go a local drainage contractor in option. It will save a lot of money and hassle in the long run.
              I too agree with leaving it to the pro's
              I've just seen too many futile attempts by DIYer's over the years.
              I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
              Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
              Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
              Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =