Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Tank Issues?

Hi All, I just spend the entire day replacing an old 40 gallon gas water heater with a brand new 50 gallon gas water heater. I hooked everything up correctly and was checking all of the copper lines for leaks where I sweated the joints. I did notice that the cold line running into the water heater is very hot to the touch, and the T&P valve is also very hot to the touch. I have municipal water because I live in the city. Is this normal? I have no expansion tank, and never have, I'm just concerned that the cold side of the supply line is hot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

a.
    Last edited by autocad_junkie; 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM.

I think what your feeling is heat transfer from the hot water in the tank, it will often travel back up a small distance on the cold inlet side. Did you install dialectic valves on the in and out side of the tank or just copper directly to the in and out ? These fittings are about 4" long, galvanized and have a little blue plastic lining on the inside and do help with heat transfer, although their main job is as a transition of metals.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Yes the tank was pre-installed with the unions. I checked the tank this morning before leaving for work and the cold side line is now back to room temperature. The T&P valve is still really hot, but everything else seems to be just fine. Thank you for your quick reply!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =