Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaky shower

I'm hoping that someone can explain how to remove the sleeves and escutcheon from a shower faucet, to enable me to remove the valve stem. The shower was installed about 1970, and I don't know what make it is.
    I've removed the valve knobs, and the stem protrudes from a sleeve about 3 inches long. Looking inside the sleeve, I see two bolts, the first (probably packing nut) smaller diameter , and the second one, with a larger diameter, at the valve. I have a set of deep plumbers shower sockets for reaching these bolts, but they won't reach deep enough inside of the sleeve to allow me to reach the bolts. The narrower end of the socket can fit inside the sleeve, but the wider back end is too wide to fit. I've tried applying a wrench to the sleeves to try to loosen them, but they won't budge. It's almost as if the sleeves are anchored to the valves themselves by the rear bolt. Any clues as to what I should do?
    I drew a simple line-drawing picture, but its too big (576 kb) to attach. Hope the above describes it well enough to understand the problem.
    Richard

A picture would be helpful...

Can you put it on photo bucket and give us a link?
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

redwood:
      Don't know what a photo bucket is. I'm going to try to resize the bmp if I can figure out how.

Comment

BMP is the largest file windows can process. when you save pictures, scroll down the list until you find save as - JPEG or JPG.

Comment

Shower Valve

ok, I think I've attached the correct way
          Last edited by atlantis; 02-13-2010, 12:00 PM. Reason: no attachment

Comment

That escutcheon should either unscrew or, pull off giving you access to the stem nut. Open the stem before trying to unscrew the stem.
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Didn't try pulling it off----seems pretty tightly fixed. I'll try some more WD-40 and see if it gives.
              Thganks

Comment

Working...
              X
              =