Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Water Help

I have a couple issues with the water in my house. I am on city water.

First off is the water pressure. It is really low. Low to the point that I can't wash off my drive way with a garden hose from a faucet 25ft away. I have put a gauge on a garden hose faucet that is right after the meter where the water comes in to my house. With nothing on I have about 65-70psi. If I turn anything on that pressure will drop from anywhere to 25-40psi. It's 3/4in copper line from where it comes into the house over to the hot water heater and then about a foot out of the heater it drops down to 1/2" and runs that way through the rest of the house as far as I can tell.

Am I looking at a issue because of 1/2 line run through most of the house or am I looking at something with the water supply running to the house? When I moved in I had to replace a small section of pipe from the meter to where it switched to copper because the galvanized pipe that was originally there had almost completely rusted shut. I don't know what the type of pipe was used to run the water to the house though. I've talked to several plumbers in my area and the all think something isn't right. It probably doesn't help that the line from the main to my house runs out of my house aprox 10 feet the 45s and shoots under my 2 car wide drive way over to my side yard aprox 75 feet away.

My other issue is with my hot water heater. It's a 9 year old gas heater that up until last week worked great. The last few days I've noticed that the hot water isn't any where near as hot as what it was and the pressure seems to be lacking a little bit, worse then what it was. I'm not real sure what to do about this one. I don't know if its worth flushing the tank out or what. I really don't have 500 bucks laying around to replace a hot water heater so any help would be appreciated.

I just wanted to edit something. I just checked the pressure when I have the shower on and it is at about 10 to 15 psi.

Comment

your problem lies with the city. if the street cock isn't open all the way you'll have pressure but not volume. if your gate velve in the basement is hung up you'll have pressure but not volume. lots of times the gate gets stuck.

Comment

Why don't you take a pressure measurement at the water heater drain with and without the hose running and let us know what you have.

Then at the hot connection for the washing machine with and without a hot faucet running.

Where did you measure pressure with the shower running?

I'd like to know those numbers before I say anything about what is wrong.
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =