Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC to Cast

I have a plumbing question that my township will not answer. How can I find out if the below is acceptable by code before I do the work?

In order to install my 2” kitchen drain line (which is fully run except roof vent and sewer connection) into the sewer I’ll need to tap into an existing 4” cast iron that comes off of the sewer with a ‘Y’ and runs horizontally for about 5’ with an ideal bend at the far end. My plan was to cut the cast iron and install a 4x4x2 PVC wye with a flexible coupling on each end to transition from the cast iron to PVC. Is that acceptable by code and/or could/does it affect the toilets grandfather code?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Yes that is a common way to do what your wanting to do. The flexible coupling your talking about are called Fernco's.
    be careful when cutting that cast.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Cast to PVC

Thanks for the conformation.

However, my township inspection finally got back to me late today and he said, "I’m not sure what you mean by “Flexible coupling”, if the coupling you want to use conforms to the ASTM D 2665 standards. Then I’m okay with it! "

I've been searching the web and can not seem to find an ASTM D2665 Flexible coupling. everthing that seems to conform with ASTM D2665 seems to be PVC. Any suggestions?

Thanks
      Dan

Comment

There is only one way to join PVC to cast and that is with a Fernco coupling.
        Fernco coupling are code compliant.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

The standard they gave you is for PVC pipe.

I would use a banded coupling in this application.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

cast to pvc

Is that a no-hub coupling? Will I be able to install when both ends are fixed. Will I be able to slide over the cast to insert the PVC and then back on to the PVC?

What should I do about the township telling me it must conform with ASTM D2665? Is there some code I can give them.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X
            =