Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plumbing questions for older house

Hi all,
    First time ever using a forum, but my wife and I are about to purchase our first home together. Its an older home, built in the 50's, with some cast iron pipe, and some pvc pipe. Theres a couple of projects we want to do, and it may work best to do them at the same time, but im not very suavvy when it comes to plumbing so I was hoping for a little advice.

The most important thing we want to do is move a washer and dryer from outside in a garage to inside the house. Where we want to move them there is no washer /dryer hook up so I will need to install them. As far as drainage goes Im not sure if I need to install a standpipe or if I should connect the drainage to my kitchen sink? And does a standpipe go inside the house or outside? The kitchen sink is in the next room. And if I install a standpipe will it drain out into the yard or where does it go? As far as a source of water coming in to the washer for a hot /cold outlet, should I tap in to an existing line from another source in the house (like the kitchen or bathroom sinks?)

Im also wanting to install a dishwasher which I think should be far less complicated I hope. I dont have a garbage disposal, but I should be able to drain the dishwasher through the kitchen sink right? Or do I need something else?

Im pretty new to all of this stuff but im looking forward to any advice! Thanks in advance.

PS - house is on pier and beam, fairly easy to get underneath to work.

-Daniel
    Last edited by Tinkee; 04-14-2010, 11:54 PM.

The dishwasher issue is a fairly easy one, firstly you will need a three way shut off valve under the sink on the hot water side, the drainage is done via replacing the existing sink waste line (above the p-trap) with one that will accept the dishwasher disposal line. Obviously you will need an electrical supply as well behind the new location for the dishwasher.

For the washer, this might get a little more complicated, I believe a washer needs by code a 2" waste line (hard to say why nowadays as low water use machines are almost the norm.) If you don't have a 2" line you can install one whye (ing) into a larger line like a 3" and whye your existing 1 1/2" kitchen line into the new 2" line. All waste line must have at least 1/4"/foot fall. You will need to install a 2" P-Trap at the washer location and this trap has a couple of code requirements as well like the height between trap and top of pipe. Venting as well might well be an issue that will need to be addressed.
    Getting water to a location is much easier with the use of PEX.

If this is a task you think you want to take on, it would be best to post a diagram of what you want to do, showing existing pipe sizes, location of existing and proposed plumbing and distance measurements, the forum has a great plumber (Redwood) who can give you all the advice you need for code etc...
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hi there Tinkee,

The water supply is the easy part as Pushkins said...

The dishwasher is also very easy as it can tie into a disposer or, dishwasher tailpiece on the kitchen sink...

The washer drain is a little tougher not knowing where you are and the code that applies where you live I can only offer safe advice at this point.

The washer drain will need to have a vent that goes through the roof or, tie into one, a standpipe and trap 2" separate from other drains until it connects to a 3" or larger line. All horizontal runs must maintain a pitch of 1/4" per foot. Follow those items and you will have an installation that passes most codes.

Most areas the water cannot drain to the surface...
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Thank you both for the reply! I think im going to end up attaching the DW drain directly into the sink since I dont have a disposal at this point (although I hope to be getting one eventually). As for the Washing machine - once we close on the house and its officially ours (on thursday!) Ill climb up in the attic and look for an existing vent. As for drainage I may have to do a little thinking on that. The house is on pier and beam, except the room where im adding the washer/dryer i THINK is on slab. I hope Im wrong, but I think that the room im wanting to use was added on later and may have been put on slab. Or possibly they closed in the porch or something and just added concrete and used it as part of the floor. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to get underneath the room from under the house. That will make my job a ton easier. If not, Im not quite sure how I will do my drainage from the washer.

Comment

You have the right idea, you should be able to drain the dishwasher through the kitchen sink. But make sure that you will check the size of all supply lines and connectors before installing a new machine.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =