Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need toilet help!

Alright, you guys were a huge help with the plumbing for my washing machine, but I've got another question for yall! Ive read alot of the questions about toilets flushing slowly but wanted to throw out my scenario and see what yall thought.

In our new house, (1 story with 1 bathroom) the toilet flushes slow. Seems a little slow to drain down and doesnt have a whole lot of suction it seems. But its also slow to fill the tank. The fill tube that sprays into the over flow tube ( I think?) sprays to fill up the tank. While its spraying water is continuously running into the toilet bowel but the level of the water doesnt rise after a certain point, but you can still see water trickle down the sides. And the actual tank itself fills up rather slowly. Havent tried a plunger yet as I havent had time to carry one over there with all the other remodeling we've been doing. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts or opinions about what it may be.

thanks!

the BALLCOCK is what feeds water to the bowl and the tank. The little rubber or plastic hose fastens to the overflow tube with a clamp. The tank fills through another, larger valve on the ballcock. When the tank fills, a float starts to throttle down the fill of the tank. Just before the water overflows into the overflow pipe, the ballcock is supposed to shut off the water flow. The main flapper fits over the overflow pipe or on two nubs on the pipe. When you flush the toilet the flapper opens and stays open until the tank is almost empty then shuts. If the seal between the flapper and tank is not completed then water will leaks into the bowl through the openings around the bowl.

Comment

So it seems like i may need to change the flapper then. So with the flapper changed and blocking water from leaking into the bowel then the tank should fill up faster right? What about the toilet draining slowly? Think a good plunging might help if the p-trap is clogged? Or should I check the vent stack maybe? If thats clogged couldnt it possibly cause it to flush slowly? From reading other posts it seems that these may be possible solutions to the water being slow to drain.

Comment

Once the tank fills does the flapper hold the water or does it drain down and refill the tank?
        That would indicate a bad flapper. You can also put food coloring in the tank and see if it enters the bowl without flushing the toilet. That would also indicate a leaking flapper.

Try filling a bucket and pouring the water into the bowl as fast as possible. This will cause the toilet to flush. Report back how well it flushes with the bucket.

It is not a vent that is causing a bad flush... Trust me!

You may want to have a good read here.
        Last edited by Redwood; 04-27-2010, 07:35 PM.
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

the main stack should be open to atmosphere all the way from the roof to the basement. On my 3 inch system I found a bird jammed into the effluent line of my toilet. the trap for the toilet is integral in the porcelain that forms the toilet. go out a buy a closet auger to clean out the toilet. its flexible enough to make the bends in the toilet trap and cushioned so you don't crack the porcelain.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =