Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen faucet - hot water wont turn off

We have a 1938 sink / faucet that is IMPOSSIBLE to find parts for. The handle on the hot water never tightens to turn off the water. Is there anything we can do to turn it off? I think the faucet itself is stripped because the stem never tightens. Can I just add a rubber washer on the bottom of the stem? We are on a fixed budget and need a long term temp fix until taxes come back. I know I can always just shut off the hot water valve in the basement but is that safe to do for long periods at a time? The kitchen sink has no shut off valve either and has that old galv pipe

You can try a washer but it will probably be only temporary.

The old seat probably has a groove eroded in it that will tear up a new washer quick...

If the seat comes out without stripping out you may be able to sand it flat and have it work.
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Brass or rubber?

Comment

they make a valve seat grinding adapter, but you'll have to look for it. most "modern" valves have replaceable seats. they use an allen wrench to install and remove. a place to try for a replacement is RENOVATORS SUPPLY in Millers Falls, MA. They got lots of stuff like claw foot tubs etc.

Comment

The seat cutter is probably your best bet of staying out of trouble with this one.

New York Replacement Parts is another good supplier of parts.If they don't have it you are probably in deep doo doo...

They will custom make parts as well for a price...
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =