Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Galvanized steel and black iron in a gas line

I have to make an extension to an interior galvanized gas line. The company does not allow to use any new galvanized steel, but it requires to use epoxi covered black iron. What should I put betwen the two pipe types? Is it Ok to put just a bronze valve? What is the standard procedure? Thank you.

Originally posted by JPGarcia View Post
    I have to make an extension to an interior galvanized gas line. The company does not allow to use any new galvanized steel, but it requires to use epoxi covered black iron. What should I put betwen the two pipe types? Is it Ok to put just a bronze valve? What is the standard procedure? Thank you.
    If you want a valve there, you can use a brass gas cock. It takes a long time , but over the years the gas will flake off the galvanizing, so that why they don;t
    want you to use it. Any valve you use for gas will say G on the valve. After you get it together and gas in the line check it with soap and water, or you can buy
    some gas leak detector. later paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul52446m View Post
      If you want a valve there, you can use a brass gas cock. It takes a long time , but over the years the gas will flake off the galvanizing, so that why they don;t
      want you to use it. Any valve you use for gas will say G on the valve. After you get it together and gas in the line check it with soap and water, or you can buy
      some gas leak detector. later paul
      Thank you Paul, but if I don't want a valve there what should I do?

Comment

Thank you Paul, but if I don't want a valve there what should I do?
        just put a black coupling or nipple on it and go on running your blk pipe. later paul

Comment

just put a black coupling or nipple on it and go on running your blk pipe. later paul
          Thanks, Paul. I'd thought doing that, but then I heard about galvanic corrosion. Do you know why is not a problem in this case, or if it is, how to solve it?

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I'd thought doing that, but then I heard about galvanic corrosion. Do you know why is not a problem in this case, or if it is, how to solve it?
            In water lines you can get electric galvanic corrosion, from the movement of
            water. with gas you don't get enough to worry about. later paul

Comment

In water lines you can get electric galvanic corrosion, from the movement of
              water. with gas you don't get enough to worry about. later paul
              Thank you Paul for your useful help. federico

Comment

Working...
              X
              =