Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chronic leaky pvc pool fittings

hi.. i am using 3 wraps of teflon tape on my pool filter and pump pvc fittings but always seem to incur a small dripping of water.

it's driving me nuts.

should i be using some type of silicone sealant instead of or in addition to the tape?

thanks

mikepaul

use the tape - start at the tip of the nipple and go up - one turn, two turns, three turns. the fitting is of the tapered design and is supposed to get tighter the harder you turn it.

Comment

thanks for the reply. still having bad luck. wrapped with tape ,about 5 different times. still have small drip.

then, i got "real-tuff" teflon thread sealant approved for pvc. worked better than the tape but still have tiny drip.

i think i will try both at the same time.

my coworkers say to tighten it more because they can't believe after all that i still have a leak.

i hand tightened, then turn ed about a 1/2 turn with wrench. i'm afraid to go more. it seems very snug.

i don't see damage to threads so i feel that the fitting is fine.. oh well, i'll let you know how i make out after i use both simutaneously

thanks for the reply!

mike

Comment

I could never rely on a tape type of sealant either on metal or plastic. I always use a semi liquid sealant made by OATEY or RECTORSEAL. Some pool fixtures use a straight thread on equipment and a tapered thread on the inter connecting fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          I could never rely on a tape type of sealant either on metal or plastic. I always use a semi liquid sealant made by OATEY or RECTORSEAL. Some pool fixtures use a straight thread on equipment and a tapered thread on the inter connecting fittings.
          would you recommend using both at the same time? tape and thread sealant?

also, are you familiar with ("real-tuff") teflon-sealant?

is the oatey or rectorseal better? is it safe for pvc?

sorry for all the questions. i'm at wits end.

i'm about to surrender to the fact that i'll have to live with some leaks at the pool equiptment.

on a side note , i went to the local pool dealer and he has 5 pools set up,filled with water and using brand new pool equiptment.

wouldn't you know it, three of the pools had small leaks at the fittings lol!

maybe it's just the nature of the beast!

Comment

pool fittings, as most of all pvc, cpvc fittings are mold injected fittings, so their threads are part of the injection process. if they were cut into the plastic it may be different. try the semi solid rectorseal or oatey. its been around for ages. gas fitters use rectorseal exclusively for making up their joints. I think yo're "killing a dead dog" by using both at the same time. expect some leaks for a pool. eventually microscopic debris that passes through your filter will fill in the "holes"

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
              pool fittings, as most of all pvc, cpvc fittings are mold injected fittings, so their threads are part of the injection process. if they were cut into the plastic it may be different. try the semi solid rectorseal or oatey. its been around for ages. gas fitters use rectorseal exclusively for making up their joints. I think yo're "killing a dead dog" by using both at the same time. expect some leaks for a pool. eventually microscopic debris that passes through your filter will fill in the "holes"
              thank you so much for your help!

mike

Comment

If your using Teflon paste and still have a leak, you might have a small hairline crack in the male or female piece. Often these cracks can be so small that they are very difficult to see.The only leaks I've ever seen in a threaded pool fitting involved no/not enough Teflon paste or cracked.....usually the latter.
                Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Plastic to plastic threaded fittings is about as weak a connection as you can possibly get.

As Pushkins said if you have thrown everything at it and it still leaks then you have probably got a crack you are fighting...

One sure way to know there is a crack is if it leaks worse when you tighten it more...
                  I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                  Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                  Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                  Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

One way to test for a hairline crack in a threaded piece is to apply PVC cleaner (purple) to the threaded section not a lot just enough to smear the area, then before it dries wipe it off with a clean rag, you wont get it all off but if you look you will see that the primer will stick to the hairline crack.
                    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =