Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I set up a well pump?

Hello,
    I've got an old Peerless electric pump in the basement that runs. We want to see if there is water in the well. Does it require a pressurized tank. I have a Well Mate tank that might work. How much pressure should it have? Another tank chloinates and holds the water I believe.

How do I set this thing up? Thanks. Bob
    ba_50 Posts: 8Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:20 pm

You don't need a pressure tank to see if the pump can get water out of the well. Prime the pump and turn'er on and see what happens.

If you get water and want to turn off the pump while using water, then you need a tank with an air pressure in it with no water in the tank of 1-2 psi less than the turn the pump on pressure switch setting. I.E. 30/50 psi gets 29-28 psi of air pressure with no water in the tank.

Comment

Gary,

There is a pipe that goes up and out through the wall. It has a bolt part way up. Is that where it is primed?

Comment

ummmm there are no bolts that go through water pipes. Possibly you mean a plug in a Tee fitting but from your reply, you need to call in a pump guy or well driller. You find both under the heading Pumps in your yellow pages or online by searching locally.

Comment

Gary,

This outfit is at least 60 years old. There is a gavanized pipe between the pump and the well and has a fitting on the horizontal pipe that goes through the wall. The fitting has a 1" square head for a wrench to take it out. I assume that is where the priming water goes. It will take a torch to get it loose, and that may not work.

Comment

I'm older than that and getting better by the day, so who cares how old it is!

You'd only use heat if it is galvanized and you can not get the plug out without it. And then be ready to replace the plug and fitting.

Instead of mentioning the age, and how do you really know it's age, telling us if the fitting is a T, an elbow, coupler etc. would be real helpful and since you didn't, IMO you are in over your head and why I said to call a pump guy or driller out. To have a plug, the only fitting that can have a plug is a T, unless the fitting is on the end of the pipe with a plug in it.

Or post pictures of everything....

BTW, life is hard and full of choices, some of them make life REAL hard, like this, you either fix this no matter how hard you think it is or you go without water... but talking yourself into how hard it might be is not a good thing and another reason to call out the pump guy or driller.

Or choose to evaluate, improvise and adapt (BIG 18-24" pipe wrenches without chewing up the square) so you can be an independent self sufficient type guy and just open yer eyes and jump in determined to succeed no matter how hard it actually is, or how long it takes etc. etc..

THINK of other things, like what if heat doesn't git'er done, then what? And you'll have plenty of time to think of how hard this was when yer done. Or...! think of how good you'll feel if you face down your fears and succeed!!

You turn the plug counterclockwise; that's the side away from you to the left. Soaking it with some WD-40 will help and later, IF you need heat, it puts out some smoke so she who you love and wants to admire ya, she can feel that yer her DIY handyman hero.

Comment

I discovered that a union type connection would allow me to pivot the pump away from the pipe. It was filled with water and reconnected. The pump built up to 20# of pressure. The hose valve was opened and about the same amount of rusty water came out and that was all. I'm wondering if the pipe or whatever they used is rusted out or gone.

I would send a picture except it is broke too. That's one thing I won't attempt to fix!

Comment

Then you need to get into the well and see if the foot valve is leaking or not.

Comment

I asked a friend about it who is a plumber and he looked at it. The pipe will have to be replaced so the system can be full of water and hold a prime. He says if it will stayed filled the pipe is good in the well.

What is a foot pump? There is no way we can get into the well that I know of. In fact, I don't know where it is at.

Comment

That is a foot valve, not a pump. It is a check valve on the bottom/end of the drop pipe that goes down into the water in the well. If it leaks you lose prime because the water you pour in while priming just runs out into the well. The plumber should know this and since he doesn't he is not a good choice to work on the system.

Not knowing where the well is because it is buried is a bad thing. You'll have to find it and open it which can be a real character builder, then pull up the drop pie inspecting it for holes/leaks and replace the foot valve since you have it out. If the well is a washed in say 2" well I wouldn't spend any money on it, there is no foot valve as I have described, I'm talking about a drilled well.

Comment

I'd be checking to see "if" there is any water in the well before spending too much time getting the pump working, if there is no water in the well then no matter how much priming you do the result will be the same thing.....Nothing.

Find the well....(very important).
                      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =