Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in Basement

Two weeks ago,at a home inspection for a house I am buying, we found water in the downstairs bedroom. The carpet was soaked with water on two opposite walls, but not in the center. The bathroom on the other side of the bedroom wall also had water on the floor. There are two egress windows in the bedroom and one of them had a water mark on it, but the inspector said it looked old - though it had clearly been a reoccuring problem in the past. He checked the walls with his moisture meter and no water was detected until he got right to the bottom where the carpet was all wet. The plumbing all passed inspection - no leaks there. My question is this: if the water isn't coming from the plumbing or the window, where is it coming from? Would you RUN away from this house?

I responded to the seller that I wanted the wet materials remived immediately, two qualified contractors to determine the source of the water and estimates for repair. She was also to have a mold test conducted by a qualified professional. As of today, she still hasn't gotten the wet stuff out (it's been wet for at least 14 days), hasn't had the mold test done, and hasn't gotten any bids. I am terrified and certain there is mold by now and I'm terrified that the water has been coming in for a long time, and that it's coming from the walls or the floor. Anything anyone can tell me to look for would be really helpful. Thanks!

Sounds like you have an exterior basement water problem. Around the base of the basement wall on the exterior side you should have a drain tile (depending on the age of the home), if this gets blocked then the water will migrate through the easiest path.
    If this inspection was done at a home inspection stage did you get a written answer to your repair request from the seller. The reason I ask this is that under 99% of contracts the seller has 5 days to get back to you regarding your requests, their failure to do so and your failure to back out of the contract at that time (5 days) usually means both buyer and seller have reach an agreement (albeit to disagree). In other words you asked for a repair list, they never get back to you on it, you say nothing more about it (verbal doesn't count) they assume by ignoring it and not hearing back from you that they need do nothing.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for your response. The water was found during an home inspection, and the seller did respond to my requests for repairs and agree to do them. The things I listed, "have the wet materials removed immediately, two qualified contractors to determine the source of the water and estimates for repair. She was also to have a mold test conducted by a qualified professional" are all things which she agreed to do by July 7; so far not a one of them has been done. I guess it's just the possibility of having mold now and them not being able to get rid of it that bothers me. That, and I need to have a concrete closing date because I will be renting out the house I live in now. Thanks again your suggestions!

Comment

Sounds like it might be time to start looking at other options...
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Copper:

I have been through this with my last house. It was a nightmare! We really wanted the house, but the seller refused to do anything with the basement leak. They finally agreed to pay us $500 to do the repairs ourselves, but it cost around $3,500 to get rid of the mold, replace the drywall and fix the water leak. Have you looked into purchasing a basement dehumidifier. I know that really helped to reduce the mold initially for us. The problem is that some of the mold had been there for more than a year! Yikes!

Anyways, I hope everything works out okay.

Murry

Comment

Working...
          X
          =