Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a new leak

Well, long story short, I have noticed my bath faucet dripping excessively the last two days. I have tried looking online, but this forum has so many awesome pros, that I would rather come here. Where should I start looking and how to I start taking everything apart that I need to? As you can tell, I have only worked with the pvc pipes in my basement and they are a snap compared. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, please don't hesitate to throw them my way. Thanks guys!

I'll bet the drip is the hot water side. a delta faucet has a single lever with a ball and two spring loaded rubber seats. separate hot and cold valves have replaceable cartridges. 'Cept for real old faucets, packings and stem washers are almost never used.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      I'll bet the drip is the hot water side. a delta faucet has a single lever with a ball and two spring loaded rubber seats. separate hot and cold valves have replaceable cartridges. 'Cept for real old faucets, packings and stem washers are almost never used.
      It actually has two knobs, one for hot, the other for cold. I believe that I read somewhere that this is a certain type of bath faucet. Anyway, from what you say, there are replaceable cartridges??? I will have to wait till the weekend to take them apart and see what the deal is. A buddy at work says you need to shut the water off, drain what is left in the pipes by turning it on, then take the knobs off to see what you can see....

Comment

YES, number 1 thing to do when trying to repair faucets, valves and the like....turn off the water.
        Depending on the faucet it may have wear are tear in the faucet seat, when you take the offending faucet apart look inside where the washer sits and seats down this surface should be free of any cracks and be nice and smooth.

Speaking of washers, first check the washer when you remove the stem that well could be the offending part and easier than dirt to replace.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

have a good read here...
          //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Replacing faucet washers is an easy task that can make an old faucet work like new again.…
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
            YES, number 1 thing to do when trying to repair faucets, valves and the like....turn off the water.
            Depending on the faucet it may have wear are tear in the faucet seat, when you take the offending faucet apart look inside where the washer sits and seats down this surface should be free of any cracks and be nice and smooth.

Speaking of washers, first check the washer when you remove the stem that well could be the offending part and easier than dirt to replace.
            Problem solved! With the help of all of you and a friendly face at the local Home Depot, it is fixed. I took it apart and really didn't see alot of wear and tear, but to be safe, I not only replaced the rubber washer and spring to the rear of the stem, but the stem itself. I am sure that now, there are not only any leaks present, but replacing them will make them last even longer. Cost a few bucks, but the water it must have been costing the past week in all likely-hood was the same if not more from all the dripping. Thanks again guys, and see you next time............

Comment

Working...
            X
            =