Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming a well pump

There is a T fitting where the water pipe goes into the wall, then goes about 5-10 feet and turns downward.

A plumber cut the pipe just out from the wall and ran a hose in and it filled up fast.

Wouldn't it have been better to cut off the T so the pipes are full for a better prime or is it enough to fill the vertical pipe?

I ran a piece of stiff wire into the pipe in case there was an obstruction but it still wouldn't pump water.

It could be a weak pump or still have an obstruction.

The plumber shouldn't have cut the pipe in the first place. The more fittings in a suction line, the more air leaks you can have.

You fill the pump and leave the prime plug loose to let air out. That's how you prime a pump, not by filling the suction line halfway to the well.

Comment

Is the prime plug the T in the pipe?

Comment

There really shouldn't be any T in the suction line. The tee should be on top of the pump so you can fill the housing which in turn runs out into the suction line as air gurgles out. When you can't get any more water into the housing, you put in the prime plug, a couple of turns then turn on the pump. It should then start spurting air around the threads in the tee. Once the water starts squirting out and no more air is obvious, tighten the plug.

Comment

This pump is about 60 years old so it might not work that way. When I get a new camera memory card, I'll see if I can get you a picture.

I think what hewas doing was putting water into the pump at the cut pipe, taping the break and trying the motor. After I ran the wire through the lines, I tried it that way and no water at all came through the valve hose. He hadn't ever seen one like this before.

Comment

Sixty years old. That's an old one all right, but they did have jet pumps back then, so it probably works just like the present day pumps. It was just made a little bit better.

Comment

Here's a picture........

Comment

I don't even know if Peerless is in business any more, but they did make a good pump.

Comment

Wow that is ancient! I've never seen one of those before...

So how would they prime that Speedbump?
                  I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                  Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                  Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                  Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Take the bushing that the gauge is screwed into - out; then fill the pump housing with water, put the bushing back only a couple of turns and turn on the motor. Hopefully since it's a vertical pump, there shouldn't be any air left and it should prime immediately. If it doesn't, you might have to add some backpressure. I didn't see any kind of backpressure control in the picture, so he might have to add a valve in the discharge line and close it off to get the pressure up. Then adjust the valve while the tank is filling. Once the pressure gets up to around 30 or so, the valve can be opened all the way.

Comment

Speedbump,

I put the water in, turned it on and let the pressure build, then opened the discharge hose valve. Water gushed out but only what I put in. The valve was closed and ther is no tank to pump water into. It just comes out the hose right now. It sounds like this would work for thebackpressure?

The problem is whether or not there is water in the well or the lines are blocked.

I'll fill up the vertical pipe as well and see if it will work.

Comment

By filling the pump, you should have filled the vertical pipes as well. There is one inside the outer pipe.

Without backpressure deep well jets don't work well. The further to water it is vertically the more important backpressure becomes. If you were to just crack the valve a little, you may have gotten a steady flow. It's a tricky adjustment especially without a tank.

I honestly wouldn't look for a whole lot of water from this old hookup. It's pretty much gave all it can at this point.

Comment

Speedbump,

I filled the gauge hole and the vertical pipe. The gauge was turned in and out till it got up to 20# pressure and left it run for a minute or so then opened the valve. Water shot out 2 or 3 feet till it ran out of water.

What do you think the chances are the pipes are blocked. The plumber thought the well might only be 15' deep.

Comment

I'm not sure what turning the gauge in and out did for anything.

If you open the valve all the way, you lose backpressure and the pump quits producing water. I think I said that in my last post.

You need a tank for one thing.

If the pump only produced a total of 20#, your jet is probably badly plugged and you will never get much over that amount of pressure and the volume will be greatly reduced as well.

Comment

I thought you meant leave the gauge open a little, but if I did that the pressure wouldn't get up to 20#. Might as well have closed it.

Would shoving a garage door cable through the pipe unblock it or get stuck? I tried some stiff coated wire but I couldn't "feel" anything with it.

I have no idea how to hook up the tank nor how much air pressure to put in either.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =