Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on replacing this toilet flange?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on replacing this toilet flange?

Good morning everyone. I'm replacing the floor in my bathroom and when I removed the toilet and wax ring I found this simple flange undernearth with no closet bolts, the toilet was just bolted to the floor.

I've since replaced the floor and want to address this flange situation now. It looks like this fitting is glued into a 90-deg elbow below so I'm not sure how to go about putting a proper flange in place.

I don't do much plumbing so here are some things I'm considering. Do any of them make sense or is there a better idea out there?

1. I was thinking about using a Dremel to cut around the inside of this flange and then put a coupler inside and a proper flange in place on top of the floor. I'm worried that this will reduce my drainage since I'm putting a coupler inside the 3" pipe.

2. I read on this forum about an "outside" flange which can be attached to the outside diameter. Does these fit around the outside diameter of the PVC pipe or the outside diameter of an elbow? I've got an elbow directly under the floor.

3. My father says to 'leave well enough alone' and just stick a wax ring on there. I don't like that idea, the flange isn't support from beneath so the weight of the toilet/wax might break the seal. Yes it worked before, but I like knowing things are done right.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by catamount; 11-08-2010, 09:46 AM.

go to a hardware store and buy a steel replacement flange. this thin steel flange has one rivet where it pivots and an elongated slot to make an adjustment. it has bolt holes spaced 180 degrees apart for the closet bolts and other holes for fastening to the floor or your plastic flange. the wax ring with or without a reducer can be used. anyway, if you use this replacement flange, your toilet will be fastened to the pipe, not the floor!

Comment

HayZee, thanks for the suggestion. The only issue with your suggestion is that since I have replaced my floor, the subfloor is now 3/16" higher than it was before.

I guess the drain probably does have some wiggle room so maybe I will try what you're suggesting and see if there is enough "play" to fit one of those clam type replacement flanges under it.

Comment

Ideally the closet flange should sit at least a quarter inch ABOVE the floor. If you have this movement, shim it up from underneath and then use the replacement flange. I had a pvc flange with a metal rim that corroded out. I managed to break off the metal part and the replacement flange slipped underneath the shoulder of the pvc flange. what you have pictured doesn't even look like a closet flange. maybe what you can do is find a flange that approximates your "mean" diameter and cut it off with a bandsaw. using pvc cleaner and entrained solids cement, glue the extension to what's there. then fasten the steel replacement flange to the extension and existing flange. use coarse thread stainless steel deck screws. you might need a pilot hole in the plastic.

Comment

I use these for a lot of flange repair jobs with great results.
          A Great Toilet Flange Repair for a Rusted Painted Steel Ring

If you cannot lift the existing flange I would cut away the flooring and secure the ring in place below using the repair ring linked above, then use a flange spacer to extend the flange up to the correct height.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Toilet Flange

I was in the same sitiation this time last year.Some toilet flanges if installed on a concret floor are not used for bolting the toilet.In this case you would need to ancor the bolts into the concrete floor.What I have done using a new flange that installs inside the waste pipe 3" or 4" with rubber seal and steel flange that sits on finish flooring.I inserted the new flange into waste pipe and using Tapcon screws secured it to the concrete, the new flange has the holes needed for standard toilet flange bolts (2).You would need to cut off your flange if it is sitting above the level of the finish floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman View Post
              What I have done using a new flange that installs inside the waste pipe 3" or 4" with rubber seal and steel flange that sits on finish flooring.
              With 3" being the minimum size for a toilet a flange that goes inside a 3" pipe is not legal under every code I know of.
              Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

Toilet Flange

These replacement toilet flanges install at the opening on the bottom of toilet which is smaller than 3 or 4 inches and do not restrict it.

Comment

Yes like these and fit inside a 3" pipe which makes them illegal since 3" pipe is the minimum allowed by code for a toilet...

Or, are you talking about the waxless seal for a toilet.
                  Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =