Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Fix a Leaky Faucet?

Hi everyone,

I have a standard kitchen faucet that’s about 8 inches tall, and it’s started leaking from the spout. The leak seems to be just a slow drip, but it’s getting worse. The handle is about 3 inches long, if that helps. Does anyone have any tips or a step-by-step guide on how to fix this? Should I be replacing the washers or is it something else? Any advice on tools or materials I’ll need would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!​

Hi there!

It sounds like you’re dealing with a common kitchen faucet issue. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you fix the leak:

1. Turn Off the Water Supply: Locate the shut-off valves under the sink and turn them off. Turn on the faucet to drain any remaining water.

2. Plug the Drain: Use a sink plug or a rag to block the drain. This will prevent any small parts from falling down the drain while you work.

3. Remove the Handle: Depending on your faucet model, you may need to remove a decorative cap on the handle to access the screw. Use a screwdriver to remove the screw and lift off the handle.

4. Disassemble the Faucet: Look for a retaining nut or cap that holds the cartridge or valve in place. Use an adjustable wrench or a basin wrench to carefully remove this nut.

5. Inspect and Replace Parts: Once you have access to the internal components, check the cartridge or valve for damage. You might also find washers or O-rings that need replacing. These are common culprits for leaks. Bring the old parts to a hardware store to find exact replacements or a repair kit.

6. Reassemble the Faucet: After replacing any damaged parts, reassemble the faucet by reversing the disassembly steps. Make sure everything is tightened securely but not overly tight.

7. Turn the Water Back On: Slowly turn the water supply back on and check for leaks. Test the faucet to ensure it operates smoothly.

Tools and Materials You Might Need:
    - Adjustable wrench or basin wrench
    - Screwdriver set
    - Replacement parts (washers, O-rings, cartridge)
    - Plumber’s tape (for re-sealing threaded connections)

If the leak persists after replacing the parts, you might need to consult a professional, but this should handle most standard faucet issues. Good luck with your repair!​

Comment

Working...
    X
    =