Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying Showerhead Supply Pipe - What to do?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Showerhead Supply Pipe - What to do?

I am fairly new to plumbing so bear with me. My problems is I am trying to change/modify my showerhead supply pipe so that I can use a more modern showerhead on it. Currently the pipe that comes from the wall protrudes out about 2-3in. and has a male threaded end on it. I have attached two pictures below. The problem is that the, unless I do some weird Frankenstein action with different connectors, I can't get a normal shower arm or showerhead on the pipe. The shower unit is a one-piece fiberglass deal so getting behind it is not really an option. Lastly the pipe can be pulled out (1-2 inches) and pushed back into the wall (1-2in.) as well, although I am not sure what stresses this places on the other end of the pipe.
    My plan is to pull the pipe out as much as I safely can, cut the threaded section off and put on a female threaded fitting. Next, I'd like to have the copper pipe and fitting sit behind the shower wall, like I think most modern showers are. The problem is that hole in the shower that the pipe comes through is so narrow that it wouldn't clear the fitting, so plan is to use a hole saw to cut the fiberglass and to give the pipe about .25 inches of clearance all around it.
    My question is...does this even make sense? Is there a better way to do this? Will it even work, does the copper pipe need to be braced or supported behind the shower wall? Should I call a plumber for this, and how much might I expect to pay? Any tips of suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Photo1
    The supply pipe coming from the wall.
    Photo2
    Standard shower extension arm.

Frankly I didn't have any idea why they plumbed it this way. The normal route is to use an eared 90 degree female fitting. So, using your option to pull the plumbing out from the wall you have two recourses. one) cut and solder a female adapter and two) cut and install a solderless female adapter. Then you'll have a female thread to which to attach a gooseneck and shower head.
    When you pull the pipe out of the wall, brace it in some form with a wedge or a piece of quarter inch steel bar stock behind the existing fitting [in the wall] so you'll have a surface to bear against.
    you can open up the tub surround as you say a little. the surface excutcheon will cover the enlarged hole.

Comment

That is some mighty interesting looking hackery there....
      It scares me to think of what might be hiding behind the wall.

In my own home or, as a plumber I'd open things up and look at waht else is going on there. At a minimum I'd fix the riser and have a drop eared el at the top to use a conventional threaded shower arm.

That said, what you may do is screw a 1/2" brass street 45 elbow on there, then install a shower head.

But in my home or, in a customers home that wouldn't fly...
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I also want to remove the shower head in my apartment because the flow is too soft. Is there any equipment that will help to avoid any damage to the pipes or plumbing?

Comment

Working...
        X
        =