Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water softeners?

A couple of months ago, disaster struck. OK, a little melodramatic since it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Low water pressure led to a call to the well company which resulted in a new well pump and pressure tank. After the work was done, we had to contend with the bleach smell and taste for a short time but that has since subsided. Unfortunately, the water taste has never completely recovered. Pre-disaster we had perfect water with no taste at all. Today, it still retains a bit of taste, of which I can't really describe. It is not at a point where we do not drink the water. I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

Part two of my question concerns a water test we had done recently. It was not an all inclusive test, but rather a "free" test we picked up a the local hardware store. In reality, it was a sales opportunity for an air & water quality firm. Their limited results were Iron and dissolved solids were within acceptable ranges. pH was 6.0 which was below the 6.5 to 8.5 range they quoted (however, my research found that the acceptable range for "groundwater" systems is 6.0 to 8.5) and hardness was 5 grains per gallon, above the 3 grains per gallon threshold.

I am assuming that our water has always been in these ranges, and has not changed due to the well pump replacement. Thus, I am not concerned with their levels per se. We do not experience much "staining" or other ill affects from hard water and we do not find an abundance of corrosion in the plumbing - with one possible exception.

We are preparing to undergo boiler surgery in the spring. Our domestic hot water is supplied by an on demand hot water exchanger on a Burnham boiler. The heat exchanger leaked at one point, but is not currently. The exterior has a fair amount of corrosion flaking off but the HVAC technician is hopeful that he will be able to remove the old exchanger, grind down the flange and install a new one (the alternative being a new boiler $$$). At the time of the inspection, this question was not one on my mind but now I wonder, is hard water and/or a slightly low pH level contributing to this in a significant way?

I know that in industrial settings, sophisticated water softeners and filtration units are used to keep water entering the boiler systems in very strict tolerances to avoid any degradation of the boilers. Would I, as a homeowner benefit from installing some sort of system, perhaps confined only to the water supplying the boiler and not the drinking water?

It is my understanding that a water softener is often more problematic for drinking water than it is helpful, but would a filter system or "injection system" to alter the pH be helpful in bringing back (or rather eliminating) the taste to our water and saving future repairs on the boiler? Although I haven't noticed much, if any change in the last few weeks, I am still hopeful that the well water is still finding its balance and that it will be as good as it was before the pump replacement.

Ideal well water has a PH of 7 or more. 7.2 being the desired amount. Iron and hardness; the lower the better. Average hardness in my area is around 15 grains and the iron varies from 1/4 ppm to as much as 7 ppm. The higher the iron, the harder it is to remove. Hardness in the area of 15 is not a problem. Softeners are nice, I have one and wouldn't be without it unless my water was already soft. Iron above 1/4 ppm should be removed with an iron filter in my opinion. Which is not shared with many softener salesmen.

Low Ph will eat copper plumbing and blue water stains will sometimes show up in the tub and other places. You can put a simple calcite filter in that will raise the PH to the desired level and they are much less expensive than a softener.

Low PH also makes iron removal harder.

You didn't give the hardness and iron amounts. They would help.

Comment

I've seen PH even just into the 6.6 range have a rapid detrimental effect on copper pipes pin holing it.
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I've seen PH even just into the 6.6 range have a rapid detrimental effect on copper pipes pin holing it.
        Chlorine is a good chemical for eating copper also. That's why I hate to recommend chlorination for water treatment. Softener salesmen for the most part seem to think there should be a chlorinator on every system.

Comment

I guess a sand and charcoal filtration system is one of the best system you can have.

Comment

Depends on what your trying to filter. The best system for any water is what works best at cleaning it up.

Comment

Don't waste your money on softening your water a ph of 6 is alittle low but not a problem. The calcite filter would fix the problem and raise the ph and the hardness slightly.

How old is the boiler if this is a problem that took a coupkle years to develope or did it take ten years? Makes a big difference in what you should do as every thing has a life expectancy especially heat exchangers. it almost sounds more like it was a leak on the boiler side than on the water side of the exchanger which would lead me to say just check boiler ph every six months and do ph adjust ment as needed. I would raise the ph of the boiler to 8 to keep from having any corasion issues.

If you want to fix your taste issue you have with the water since your well work you should Flush your system just run a garden hose off some where and let it runn for a couple hours depending on the volume of your well and GPM your pump will pump. Test taste every couple hours till taste is cleared up.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =