Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Softener Installation

Will be installing a water softener shortly. I have the option of running the regeneration flush water out the clean sump line to the ditch in front of house or running it out to the septic tank. I prefer the clean sump line but would the water be salty enough to ruin the grass in the ditch? If I go to the septic tank does the salty water interfere with the normal action taking place in the tank, and does it interfere with the drain field. How salty is the flush water?
    Thanks
    JRH

The answer is yes and yes. It is salt water and it will kill the grass in your ditch, but it will also kill the bacteria in the septic tank which would have a far worse outcome than dead grass in the ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlmaker View Post
      The answer is yes and yes. It is salt water and it will kill the grass in your ditch, but it will also kill the bacteria in the septic tank which would have a far worse outcome than dead grass in the ditch.
      There seems to be a couple of schools of thought there....

The Effect Of Water Softener Discharge On Septic Systems

WCP Online: Water Softeners & Septic Tanks: A Compatible Combination?

Water Quality Association

Fortunately I don't have to worry about it here in Connecticut because the state prohibits the discharge into septic systems....
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I would rather go into the ditch than the septic tank. I have discharged the water on many of my own softeners onto the grass and many customers as well and it does not kill the grass. I'm not saying it won't kill your grass though, because I'm in Florida and my grass may be a heartier variety than yours.

If it were mine, I would run it on the ground and see what it does. If it starts killing grass, then put it somewhere else. A hand dug drywell would be a good solution.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =