Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this asbestos???

Hey so this is behind my vinyl siding and behind my drop tile ceiling... any idea what this is? I was thinking/ told it was asbestos but i havent found any pictures that support this.

Welcome to Flickr! <--- here is a picture i took and put on flickr of what im talking about.
    Last edited by joshhudm; 04-05-2011, 03:20 PM.

im not sure if that link works. If no i will try to upload another when i get home.

Comment

Your right, the link is not working.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

The link should work now, any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.
        Last edited by joshhudm; 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

The picture looks a lot like that of an asbestos siding shingle, it's very common to see these covered by vinyl siding. They really pose no health threats when undisturbed, the problem with asbestos building materials is when they are cut, drilled etc... the particles are released into the air and then inhaled.
          I'm not sure why/if they would be used on the inside of a home, is the material hard ?
          Last edited by pushkins; 04-06-2011, 07:13 AM.

Comment

When you hang siding wouldn't you have to nail into it/disturbing it? Yes at first I thought it was a cement board of some kind. So did builders used to put this down then asbestos siding on top of that?

Comment

They used to use asbestos shingles for the exterior cladding of homes (often called slate shingles). Safe as long as it's not disturbed allowing the particles to float into the air. The adding of siding over the top was allowed and deemed safe mainly because as the siding and under laid fanfold (insulation sheeting installed behind siding) was being nailed it's own body helped keep any particles trapped behind it.
              Now hacking into it with a circular saw would definitely be unadvisable.

Comment

Ha yeah they didn't put anything been the asbestos and siding gotta love shortcuts

Comment

Working...
                X
                =