Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wall and ceiling removal because of potiental mold

Hello Guys and Gals,

I am new forum poster and newby home repairer. I recently got married and my bride's house, which we now live, has a couple of roof leaks. Her roof is mostly flat with two pitched areas, it's kinda strange. So, after months of saving and weeks of finding the right roofing guy, I have decided that I will fix he leaky ceiling areas myself to save money and money.

Now, on to my question. There are a couple of areas that we know contain mold. mainly ceiling areas, but could be some walls as well. I plan on tearing out some of the old stuff tomorrow and I am wondering if there is any rules, laws or precautions I need to be aware of besides not breathing or touching anything.

Any advice would help.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

by the way

The roof is being professionally done. I am doing the interior ceiling, and maybe walls.

Comment

thanks for the tips!

Comment

You seem to have a fair grasp on what lays ahead of you, you mention obviously avoiding breathing any suspect material so you obviously know to wear a mask, don't use a el cheapo get yourself at least a 3M mask.
        Try to make as little dust or disturbance as humanly possible, in other words the bigger the pieces you can remove the better, also try not to just toss them down on the ground that will just help any bad particulates to become airborne.
        Once you have removed the effected drywall and insulation spray down any effected studs or ceiling joists with a mild solution of bleach and water 1:10 you don't have to drown the area just enough to wet it. (don't spray anything electrical)
        Let it dry ( a day) and then your good to go to start the rebuild.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I've just been through the same thing. I recommend you don't use bleach on wood, it doesn't kill the mold it just waters it and it grows back worse. Bleach is only for non-porous materials. Straight vinegar mixed with tea tree oil (can be purchased in the vitamin section at WalMart or Target) works wonders though... soak it and let it dry, soak it again.

It smells, initially, like dirty socks and pine sol, but the smell goes away when dry. It kills the mold dead in porous surfaces.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =