Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting drywall over a creekstone wall

We have a large creekstone wall surrounding our fireplace and would like to drywall over it. Does anyone have any info on the best way to accomplish this?

Originally posted by pattihty View Post
    We have a large creekstone wall surrounding our fireplace and would like to drywall over it. Does anyone have any info on the best way to accomplish this?
    Is it really that bad that you want to cover it up?
    Can we see a photo of it?

Comment

I have attached a couple of photos. It's not that it's "that" bad. We have lived here over 23 years. The entire outside of the house - minus one cedar side is creekstone with creekstone retaining walls as well. The creekstone is getting very dark and dirty around the fire place and if you can tell from the close up of the fireplace - the creekstone that was done under the hearth was done very poorly - lots of grout, very little creekstone. I guess the main reason is we are tired of it and would like to have a place to possible build in some bookshelves and/or hang more art work, etc. The hearth itself is slate and has a permanent stain on it of some kind which we want to replace or go over with a nice tile. We will be able to drill into the hearth to support beams for the drywall, but would like to know if there are other things to take into consideration with the unevenness of the creekstone. Any suggestions?

Comment

Great photos like that answer a lot of questions.
        I did envision a lighter shade of creekstone but that wall is fairly "dark".
        I can see how you'd like to brighten and dress it up more as that whole wall is pretty much a focal point with the hearth but all it has is a single piece of artwork.

I'm not quite sure what you like because I can see the adjoining walls are of different colors. I'd hate to go with a lighter colored cedar wood book shelves and art work decor frame work when the ceilings also have "dark" beams.

I do agree with you though about how you'd like to "busy" up that wall more.
        Basically, you need to see what is supporting that wall behind it.
        It doesn't look like that stone will be very easy to take down so you need to know what's behind it - whether it's freestanding or attached...
        That way we can advise you build over it entirely or only partially to change the look of the wall.
        A nice mantel over the fireplace is a start!

Comment

If you add furring strips (strips of wood often 2"x1") to the wall held with Tapcons you will then be able to install drywall over it.
          Tapcons are blue masonry screws, simply drill a hole into the wall and then screw in the tapcon. This way you could plumb the wall at the same time (most often the creek stone will not be plumb all the way from the top to bottom)
          Another option for the furring strip attachment would be "wrawl plugs" plastic plugs inserted into holes in the mortar then a screw added through he furring strip into the plug.
          A simple bead of construction adhesive on the back of the furring strip prior to attachment would help address any possible moisture issues.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

These are the screws he's talking about!...>>>

Tapcon® - Tapcons are designed for use in concrete, block and brick. The Tapcon® taps threads into a pre-drilled hole are American made and provide excellent holding values.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =