Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this true?

Hi all, was not sure where to put this as I don't see a carpenter section per say. Anyways, I bought some 4x8 plywood and the guy said not to store it on it's edge, but lay it flat or it will warp. Is this true? I am storing it indoors and will be using it within the next 30 days, and of course laying it flat would not be an option due to space. I am sure if I stored it for years maybe warping might happen, but for just a short time?

For just 30 days stored indoors you should be fine, try not to store it leaning on an angle against a wall with other things leaning against it. Stand it as upright as you can.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by radstorm View Post
      Hi all, was not sure where to put this as I don't see a carpenter section per say. Anyways, I bought some 4x8 plywood and the guy said not to store it on it's edge, but lay it flat or it will warp. Is this true? I am storing it indoors and will be using it within the next 30 days, and of course laying it flat would not be an option due to space. I am sure if I stored it for years maybe warping might happen, but for just a short time?
      What you have been told is true.

NEVER store plywood on edge for more than a day...

ALWAYS store plywood flat supported on at least 16" centers even overnight.

Daily changes in temperature and humidity can easily warp plywood rendering it all but useless...

Comment

See there ya go, ask the same question and get two totally different answers
        I never said you "should" store it that way but that you "could" if careful, very few people have the space to store a 4x8 sheet flat for any given period of time.
        Can you cut it down to the required size ? how many ply is it ?

Comment

Yeah manhattan42, I was afraid someone would say that ,, Exactly pushkins..no space to lay it down flat I will be attaching it to studs, so I am hoping once I screw it down..it will pull whatever warping back out anyways. By the way..what would be a good glue to adhere plywood to osb? I want to make a thin door for a utility closet.

Comment

As your making a door you will most definitely want to keep it as straight as possible, you'll be gluing it down an that is much different than screwing or nailing it down.
            A contact adhesive is your best bet for gluing the ply to osb.

As a footnote OSB is very easily warped unless it is attached to studs etc... if this is indoors or in a very protected area you might want to look at MDF (hate that stuff personally) paint all edges, or use a better quality board like Advantech.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =