Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool For Grout Removal

There doesn't seem to be a forum for tile or power tools or General. This seemed to be the closest.

I need to remove and regrout our master bath shower. I'm trying to learn what's the easiest way to do this -- that is, what tool to use.

There is the Dremel tool with it grout removal attachment. And, there are these Oscillating Multi-Tools -- www dot goo dot gl /EIkms

Are there other power tools? If not, which of these is the best to use?
    Last edited by i_am_jim; 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM.

There are simple hand held (and hand powered) grout removal tools. In almost all tile sections of big box stores they have a hand held tools that you scrape through the grout lines removing the grout. You need to be careful around the tile corners so as to not chip the corners.
    With either the powered tools or hand held tools the secret to success is patience.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      There are simple hand held (and hand powered) grout removal tools. In almost all tile sections of big box stores they have a hand held tools that you scrape through the grout lines removing the grout.
      I started to mention I wasn't interested in hand scrapers, but since I decided the question I was asking was so clear . . .

Comment

No opinion on which power tool to remove grout?

Comment

I use the Bosch multi tool.

Comment

Thanks.

And are you satisfied with the results? Or, "It's not good but it's the best game in town?"

Comment

Removing grout with any tool is not a great job, patience is the best tool, any of the multi tools will damage the tile finish if your not very careful, It is not like they show on TV with quick runs removing all the grout, it's a time consuming process, so if you have small tiles meaning a lot of grout prepare for a workout.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
                . . . it's a time consuming process, so if you have small tiles meaning a lot of grout prepare for a workout.
                That's what I was afraid of. I did a small area of surrounds a few years ago using the hand scraper. Took forever. I'm only considering this if I can make it a lot less painful. It sounds like I can't.

Can I scrape the surface and regrout without removing the existing grout.

Again, thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes you can re grout without removing all of the existing grout, still means you have to remove some grout to allow the new grout a place to sit (1/8" deep), biggest problem is you need to make sure you remove all the old grout on all the edges of the tile otherwise when you re grout you'll see nice new grout and some pieces of old maybe different color grout.
                  No matter how you look at it re grouting is a right royal pain in the butt.

I think with the multi tool and the hand tool for clean up it's probably about a 4 hour job for a standard tub surround, a lot will depend on the grout line size and how old the grout is.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =