Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall/ceiling repairs

I have a huge hole in my ceiling and i need to fix it. can i send someone a picture so i can show what im talking bout, i cant really explain it

Try explaining it !
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

can really explain. but this is the hole in my ceiling i wanna fix

Comment

can really explain. but this is the hole in my ceiling i wanna fix i uploaded a pic

Comment

Looks like its under a leaky bathtub. the metal lath held plaster and evidently the water softened the plaster and everything caved in! find out where the leak is and fix that first or you'll have the same problem down the road. what you'll need to do is trim it out so its like a rectangle. depending on your sheetrock thickness, you'll need to fasten up furring strips for something for the "rock" to hang on to. once the sheetrock is up, then standard taping and mudding procedures will be applied.

Comment

thats actually my ceiling in the hallway. I fixed the leak already.....thanks so much for the help on this...im not used to patching holes that big. So im basically doing the same thing i would do to patch a small hole?

Comment

i have a giant piece of wood that matches the size of that hole would that work good for supporting the sheet rock ? also some guy at a hardware store told me instead of using sheet rock, i could use wall patches for that

Comment

I have no idea what the hardware guy was referring to unless it was tin ceiling panels. still, they have to be nailed to something. once you square out the hole, on the left and right side, screw a board about 6 inches wide to the existing ceiling [behind the ceiling] letting about three inches extend into the opening. do this on both sides. now measure your ceiling thickness [existing] - you'll want some sheetrock to rest as even to the existing ceiling as possible. if the thickness is one inch then you'll have to shim out a half inch using half inch sheetrock. if the thickness is three quarters, then you'll only need a quarter inch shim. screw a 2x4 between the joists at approximate center of the opening and even with your boards and shim stock. now cut and fit a piece of sheetrock to fit the opening. screw along the sides about every six inches and three screws in the center. now apply some mud on all joints and use paper tape embedded in the compound. try to make the embed coat as thin as possible and let dry. then go back with more mud and feather out from the center, again as thin as possible. do this a few times until the joints look smooth. then sand and prime and paint your ceiling.

Comment

Ceiling repair

I've made a rough drawing of how to accomplish what I describe in the text. I trust it isn't too complicated.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =