Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should be the height of wall? so roof pitch stays at 10 feet...

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be the height of wall? so roof pitch stays at 10 feet...

What should be the height of wall for metal roofing panels of 12 feet long...

We have storage shed floor built which is 15x8 ...where 8 feet is the width on which we are going to put 12 feet roofing panel so we can have 2 feet over hang...on each side...

city says without permit you can build shed height more than 10 feet and this 10 feet starts from ground (not floor) to the roof pitch (we will have metal low slope roof)

What should be height of the front (higher wall) and what should be height of lower wall to achieve optimum slope for this 12 feet long metal roofing..

now, we have used concrete pier blocks which to put the floor on which has already taken 1 feet so please consider this...when you give advice about the height of wall should be?

Much more information is required for an full answer, like are there any interior posts to support the roof (this will dictate lumber size), are you wanting rafters or trusses (trusses will be the best option for a clear span).
    From what you said the max. height can be 10' minus the 1' for the pier blocks so this is now a max. height of 9' from the floor for the front if you slope this to a 7' wall at the rear your will have sufficient slope on a metal roof over the 15' run. Don't forget you will need to take into consideration lumber size of the rafters and deduct this from both wall heights so you stay under a total height of 10' ....( 9' wall height with say a 2x10 rafter = 9' 9 1/2" + 1' (pier) = 10' 9 1/2") so now your wall needs to be 8' 2 1/2").
    However, the 15' run span for the rafters will need to be supported mid way this would mean a support beam mid way recessed into the side walls for the rafters to sit on.

As a simple guide your could do the following:
    8' 6" front wall with 2x6" rafters (= 8' 11 1/2" + 1' pier = 9' 11 1/2" total height) Rafters resting mid way on a recessed and supported into the side walls beam. Rear wall could be 6' 6" this would give you a slope of about 2:12.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

We will have low slope roof so rafters will be used...

We are going to use rafters as this will be a low slope metal panel roofing.

Also, roof panels will be placed along with 8 feet width and not 15 feet length.

Please consider 2 feet overhang on each side when you give advice.
      so, we are going to use 12 feet panels on 8 feet width so we can have 2 feet over hang on each side

and we have panels that are 16" wide so we are going to use 14 panels so we have some over hang on 15feet length side too.

Correct me if my following calculation is wrong?

108-4"(subsctract 1/2" sheathing and 31/2" for rafter)=104"

than 104"-3"( subsctract 3" for top and bottom plate ..11/2" each) = 101"

also we have to consider 2 feet overhang so total 4 inch subsctraction for that..

so 101-04=97"

so 97" should be the stud height for high wall and low wall should be 16" lower than higher wall..
      so low wall stud height should be 81" correct? ...(I am saying 16" lower because 2 inch per foot ...and low wall is 8 feet away from high wall so 2" per foot is 2x8=16")

If I use two top plates and 2x6 rafter I have to adjust measurments accordingly but in your opinion should I use 2x6 rafter or 2x4 and one top plate is good or two?

Thanks...

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      Much more information is required for an full answer, like are there any interior posts to support the roof (this will dictate lumber size), are you wanting rafters or trusses (trusses will be the best option for a clear span).
      From what you said the max. height can be 10' minus the 1' for the pier blocks so this is now a max. height of 9' from the floor for the front if you slope this to a 7' wall at the rear your will have sufficient slope on a metal roof over the 15' run. Don't forget you will need to take into consideration lumber size of the rafters and deduct this from both wall heights so you stay under a total height of 10' ....( 9' wall height with say a 2x10 rafter = 9' 9 1/2" + 1' (pier) = 10' 9 1/2") so now your wall needs to be 8' 2 1/2").
      However, the 15' run span for the rafters will need to be supported mid way this would mean a support beam mid way recessed into the side walls for the rafters to sit on.

As a simple guide your could do the following:
      8' 6" front wall with 2x6" rafters (= 8' 11 1/2" + 1' pier = 9' 11 1/2" total height) Rafters resting mid way on a recessed and supported into the side walls beam. Rear wall could be 6' 6" this would give you a slope of about 2:12.

Comment

Yes your calculations are correct for single top plates with 2x4 rafters.

You will need two top plates to be code compliant.

2x6's as rafters will be much better as you will have to notch the rafter to sit square on the top plates both front and rear. (2x4's will leave you little of the material left after you notch (birdsmouth)).

A wall is not stud length a wall is the entire profile, bottom plate, stud and top plates.

There is no need to use "sheathing" under the roof you could use 3/4" batons running perpendicular to the rafters to screw the metal roof onto. If you do use sheathing you will still need roofing felt.

As a footnote under new code (ICC) there is no longer the requirement that top plate joints fall over a stud.

Have you considered adding soil around the piers to raise the ground level, this would allow you to increase the wall height ?

Comment

top plate joints fall over a stud?

what is the meaning of this line

'no longer requirement that top plate joints fall over a stud'??

further...you said 2 top plates would be better if I do so I guess I should use 2x6 as rafter...for better grip correct and in that case the higher wall stud measurement would be 93.5 correct?

Yes your calculations are correct for single top plates with 2x4 rafters.

You will need two top plates to be code compliant.

2x6's as rafters will be much better as you will have to notch the rafter to sit square on the top plates both front and rear. (2x4's will leave you little of the material left after you notch (birdsmouth)).

A wall is not stud length a wall is the entire profile, bottom plate, stud and top plates.

There is no need to use "sheathing" under the roof you could use 3/4" batons running perpendicular to the rafters to screw the metal roof onto. If you do use sheathing you will still need roofing felt.

As a footnote under new code (ICC) there is no longer the requirement that top plate joints fall over a stud.

Have you considered adding soil around the piers to raise the ground level, this would allow you to increase the wall height ?

Comment

top plate

I would much rather see a top plate joint fall over a stud than have it flopping around in mid-air. if your length is, say 16 foot and the end falls not on a stud, then I would cut back so it fell midpoint on a vertical stud and continue the run with another plate piece. when you double up the plate I'd rather see the lower joint overlapped by a continuous plate piece.

Comment

Originally posted by vikasintl View Post
              what is the meaning of this line

'no longer requirement that top plate joints fall over a stud'??
              Your top plate joints (where the 2x4 top plate stops and starts from one length to the next) are not required to be equally over the end of a stud.

Originally posted by vikasintl View Post
              further...you said 2 top plates would be better if I do so I guess I should use 2x6 as rafter...for better grip correct and in that case the higher wall stud measurement would be 93.5 correct?
              Yes your "stud" length will be 93.5"

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                I would much rather see a top plate joint fall over a stud than have it flopping around in mid-air. if your length is, say 16 foot and the end falls not on a stud, then I would cut back so it fell midpoint on a vertical stud and continue the run with another plate piece. when you double up the plate I'd rather see the lower joint overlapped by a continuous plate piece.
                I'm on the fence, personally I still frame with the lower top plate joint over a stud ( upper top plate makes little difference where it falls) blocking of a lower top plate joint that falls between stud cavities would be prudent, however I have never seen a lower top plate bend even when in the past framed over a 16" stud cavity. I have seen it of single top plate construction with the joint over a cavity where the rafter laid over or very near the joint.

Comment

Lower wall should also have two top plates?

I'm on the fence, personally I still frame with the lower top plate joint over a stud ( upper top plate makes little difference where it falls) blocking of a lower top plate joint that falls between stud cavities would be prudent, however I have never seen a lower top plate bend even when in the past framed over a 16" stud cavity. I have seen it of single top plate construction with the joint over a cavity where the rafter laid over or very near the joint.
                  I have little hard time understanding because am totally novice...

lower wall also needs two top plates?
                  or just one?

Comment

I'm sorry the post started to drift away from your question.

All walls should be >>>> bottom plate (single) ... wall stud ....double top plate ......or in other words one horizontal .....vertical ....and two horizontal. so an 8' wall would be made up of 1 1/2" bottom plate.....91.5" studs....and 3" top plates (double)
                    Any joints in the top plates should be over a stud (in my opinion).

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =