Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting basement walls (below grad)

I am planning on painting the concrete basement walls. There is already a coat of paint on the walls except for small sections that were behind some storage bins. Those areas are unpainted.
    1. Now on the sections that are unpainted, I am planning on using Kilz2 Clean Start primer Zero VOC for the first coat and I don't know what to use for the second coat. I would like it to be a semi-gloss latex paint. Is that do-able? Will the semi-gloss latex have a negative impact on the moisture barrier?

2. On the walls that are already painted - I have no idea what kind of paint it is only that it is a ghastly shade of yellow. I tried two small sections - one section with a latex flat paint, the other with a latex semi-gloss. (I did 2 coats) The flat looks awful but the semi-gloss looks pretty good. Both sections adhered okay, dried quickly and no problems with the second coat - no flaking, etc. Again, since I don't know what the first coat is (it is glossy), I am wondering if, here again, I might negatively impact a moisture barrier if I use latex semi-gloss. This yellow paint has been on the walls since I moved in, nearly 30 years ago. Do I need to put a primer on this area also, prior to a second coat?

I don't know anything about painting concrete. I will say that there has been no experience of wall seepage. If I got any water it came in via the window wells which are now well covered. There was some flooding after first moving in but that hasn't happened since the village put in a retention pond.

I am 80 years old and my grandson and I are going to do the painting and he has no painting experience and I figure the basement walls are not a bad place for him to start but what I don't want to do is compromise the status of any moisture barrier that exists. Oh, also will not do any scraping or sanding of the walls in case of the possibility of lead.

Please help

I have to buy the paint this weekend as someone is going to pick up the paint for me this coming weekend. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

grammapat

Comment

basement

ideally the walls should have had a sealer applied first before any wall finish was applied. this is to prevent the cement from leaching out of the mix. any white areas is called efflourescence. this is the lime in the concrete mix. it should be scraped down and a sealer applied.
      all latex is water based. an oil paint would be better than latex. latex gets chalky after time.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =