Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drywall repair around baseboards. Help!

So my wife & I are in the process of laying down new laminate flooring. The previous owners calked the baseboards to latex paint. We eventually figured out how to remove the baseboards without causing as much damage but have a few spots that I'm not sure how to go about fixing. The only thing I can find in regards to patching drywall online is patching holes with a screen. I'm not sure if I would be able to do that with these areas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I laid the new baseboard up against it as well to give an idea of how big the area really is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1(1).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	87846Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	87848
    Attached Files

Wow, you sure did take a chunk out You can either repair the damage now (that would be my advice) then reinstall the baseboard, that way the baseboard has something to sit firmly against.
    You can buy a small tub of drywall mud (compound) and with a 6" spatula apply a layer of drywall mud, allow it to dry (24 hours) and apply another coat, kinda building up the void. You will taper it out above the baseboard height and over the damaged area by about 4". When you sand it back DON"T sand back so that you see the outline of the currant damaged area, stop sanding just before. That way you'll hide the repair.

Always run a sharp knife cut at the top of the baseboard where it makes contact with the drywall, that will help avoid tearing the paint (and drywall).

Are you covering up the oak floor ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

wall

looks to me like the drywall was installed just even with the top of the baseboard instead of run almost to the floor level.
      the gray material is the old fiber entrained plaster coat.
      if the drywall is, say a quarter inch thickness, I would install another piece between the existing installed drywall and almost to the floor to get the levels equal, then mudding the joint with compound.
      sand the joint flat with using a piece of paper tape and feather out the patch, then apply a primer and your finish coat.
      this way the baseboard will be equal to the purple drywall.
      the other alternative would be like pushkins said and use compound to bring the level equal to the purple drywall.
      your floating floor laminate will go almost to the wall given a clearance of 3/8" to allow for expansion. the baseboard will go over the flooring material.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =