Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grout used at change of plane

My house has a tile backsplash in each bathroom and the kitchen and grout was used where the tile meets the counter tops. From what Ive read, many (most?) people recommend caulking at the change of planes to help prevent cracking. Well, obviously I have cracked grout in all these rooms. I purchased sanded caulk to match the color of the existing grout but Im now reading that this kind of caulk may not prevent cracking, and that I should use 100% silicone caulk instead. It looks as though there's only one brand that does colored silicone, so Im conflicted on what the right move would be to keep things looking their best.

The existing grout is 1/4" thick. Can I just remove a solid line of the grout where it meets the counter instead of trying to remove it all the way to the tile? Seems like that would be a fairly large strip of caulking.

If I use the sanded caulk that I thought would work - is it true that Im likely to have problems with cracking again in the near future?

If it's the sanded/less caulk that comes in the tube (caulking gun style) then that is exactly what you should use, it will mimic the grout color (closely but not exact) and allow both surfaces to move without cracking. Don't remove all the existing grout just cut a line in it, then apply the caulk neatly.

Silicone works as well but will not match the grout color.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

It is that kind, yes. Thanks for the response. I'll give it a go and hope that the work pays off in the end!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =