Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to finish OSB walls / ceiling in barn??

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to finish OSB walls / ceiling in barn??

I just built a pole barn and am leaving a 10 x 24 section as a tack room for horse gear. I used OSB 1/2" for the walls and ceiling. So what to do to finish this so it's not to redneck( or Chewee as we say around here) looking? I have seen some nice house interior walls done with it over the years but don't know how they did it. About all I know about it is that you need to prime with oil first............ Looking around the net hasn't shown me any great ideas either. I don't want to break the bank on a barn but don't want something too rough textured either that will catch all the dust those horses kick up in the next room. Give me some ideas and also an estimate of how much paint / primer ect. thaks.

I've done a couple of different finishes on OSB, by it's nature it can be problematic to finish.
    1. Oil prime and oil top coat, use a roller with a heavy nap 3/4" (yes it will be messy)
    2. Polyurethane, two or three coats I used a semi gloss for effect, but pretty much any of the sheen levels will give you a cool finish. Only word of warning here is that if you used OSB with writing or grid marks on it then your going to see these for ever more with a poly. coating.

Either of these options could be sprayed on if you have access to a spray unit and want to do the "clean up" of the machine, but it will save you application time.

I have also seen a two part epoxy with flakes used on OSB walls, it's the same stuff they use on garage floors, I think Rustoleum make a version for wood.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      I've done a couple of different finishes on OSB, by it's nature it can be problematic to finish.
      1. Oil prime and oil top coat, use a roller with a heavy nap 3/4" (yes it will be messy)
      2. Polyurethane, two or three coats I used a semi gloss for effect, but pretty much any of the sheen levels will give you a cool finish. Only word of warning here is that if you used OSB with writing or grid marks on it then your going to see these for ever more with a poly. coating.

Either of these options could be sprayed on if you have access to a spray unit and want to do the "clean up" of the machine, but it will save you application time.

I have also seen a two part epoxy with flakes used on OSB walls, it's the same stuff they use on garage floors, I think Rustoleum make a version for wood.

Thanks. I used Lowes Georgia Pacific OSB so it's plastered with writing so I definitely will go with just painting it. I see a few references to painting with latex after the oil primer out there. Is that Kosher? I always though you couldn't put latex over oil paint unless it was absolutely ancient dry. Any idea how much paint I'm going to need for 24 by 11' with 10' high walls? Ballpark. I'm used to doing the painting I do a gallon at a time but if it sucks up as much as I hear I'll see if I can Pick up a 5 gallon pail. Those pails like stain come in come in handy for all sorts of uses for bonus.
      I also assume a mid level Wagner paint sprayer isn't worth the effort here is it? I have one and painted my basement ceiling with it but it was pretty slow though it did a great job on a rough uneven surface.
      Last edited by driz; 06-24-2014, 09:34 PM. Reason: additional question

Comment

Yes latex is often painted over an oil primer, primer being the operative word here, (it cannot be painted over oil finish coats without more primer).
        I'm assuming your total area is the room size, so for your area of 700 sq. feet (24+24+11+11 x10 ) at best coverage of 1 gallon = 350 one coat (second coat will take much less) 1 gallon second coat = approx. 450 sq. feet, Primer will take more as it's the sealer.
        700 sq. feet of primer = 3+ gallons
        700 sq. feet of first coat = 2 gallons
        700 sq. feet of second coat = 1.5 gallons
        Spraying will minimize the amount of paint and at least for the primer will get into all the nooks and crannies of the OSB but top coats do much better in the long term with roller applications.

Comment

Thanks for the info Pushkins. I'll just grab a 5 gallon pail of and each and have some left over for whatever else surfaces down the road and whatever else this barn project turns into. I always put my paint in smaller cans or big detergent bottles once it gets used down 1/3rd of the can. It lasts for many years that way .
          This barn project started as a simple pole barn and turned into some sort of Barbie Dream Barn. I'm sure I'll pay for it all in the end once the tax assessor gets her eyes on it. That's one of the reasons I never built one before, NY's legendary property taxes. You get raped yearly for owning anything in this place and then get to freeze or sit in the rain most of the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
            Yes latex is often painted over an oil primer, primer being the operative word here, (it cannot be painted over oil finish coats without more primer).
            I'm assuming your total area is the room size, so for your area of 700 sq. feet (24+24+11+11 x10 ) at best coverage of 1 gallon = 350 one coat (second coat will take much less) 1 gallon second coat = approx. 450 sq. feet, Primer will take more as it's the sealer.
            700 sq. feet of primer = 3+ gallons
            700 sq. feet of first coat = 2 gallons
            700 sq. feet of second coat = 1.5 gallons
            Spraying will minimize the amount of paint and at least for the primer will get into all the nooks and crannies of the OSB but top coats do much better in the long term with roller applications.
            I got a 5 gallon pail of Zinsser 123 and it looked thin enough to run through the Wagner I already had. Wow, probably as fast as a brush but no faster. It took well over an hour to get all the corner seams. Then came the cleanup. Give me water based paint ever more. Damned gun took a half hour to clean. I'd rather clean a car paint gun any time, what a hassle and unlike any auto paint good old Laquer Thinner didn't much touch the crap . It turned out that elcheapo mineral spirits was all I had that touched it and even then lots of scrubbing and digging the crevices. It's roller action from here on out.
            I thought I hated Imron and all the rest of the hardened Issocyanate laden stuff the worst. Not even close to this stuff. If I never see a can of oil based paint again I'll be happy. So just how long do I have to wait after the primer coat to put on the latex top coat?

Comment

Is that a hand held Wagner ?.....they inflict the most clean up pain of any of the spray units. I have a commercial spray unit and I've done whole house interior spray prime with zinsser in less than a day and the clean up is a pain (maybe 20 minutes) with that but nothing like what you described.
              Most often I wait 24 hours between coats, but it will depend on the humidity if any where you are.
              Rest assured the following coats will be much easier.

Comment

Yup. I got one a while back to do the railings and lattice on my deck (stain). It worked pretty good so I used it to shoot latex when I finished part of my basement. It worked good spraying all the pipes, underside of floor, joists and goodies. As for Zissners no way. FWIW that goo lapped up all but a quart of that 5 gallon pail. It did the deed great though and not a speck of the writing came through and it looks about as flat as you can get from a rough surface. It was dry as a bone a couple hours later. Today it's on to the first coat of latex. Hopefully by the end of next week I can get my daughters horse junk out of my garage. Maybe then I will have almost enough room (22x22) to drag a vehicle in there to work on when it's nasty outside.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =