Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cottage cheese ceiling removal

I have heard it's not a difficult task to remove the acoustic ceiling treatment. Spray water on it, scrape it off. Somehow i can't imagine it's really that simple. Anyone done it before?? What about texturizing it after the acoustic stuff is removed? Thanks![?]

heidi

It is messy and I wouldn't use water. Just wear a mask and take a scraper, you can use one of the wide putty knives to cover more space. Also, put down drop-clothes and scrap away. Even better if your going to texture your ceiling, you won't have to be as precise. It will probably leave little bumps but you won't have to sand if you are re-texturing.

T

Comment

This can get to be a real mess. What kind of texture do you plan to replace it with?

Comment

I've tackled this job both wet and dry and DRY is the only way to go!! It scrapes off very easily. I've attempted to recreate the orange peel myself using paint with texture added. I was not pleased with the results though. I'm most pleased with the room that had dry wall mud blown on after I scraped it. My brother in law did it for me. I'm not sure if this equipment can be rented, but it didn't seem difficult at all, just messy. I strongly suggest taping the surrounding walls with painters plastic and covering the floors with it too. Also cover doorways with the plastic too. This will greatly minimize clean-up afterward. Wear goggles and a mask too.

Comment

I did it. Definately recommend the water treatment. Spray lightly and let it soak in, then the junk comes right off. I did a small area at a time, moving my drop cloth around. Dry was way too hard on my old bones.

Woman with a Big Truck!

Comment

Hi, I too have scraped the textured finish off my ceilings. I thought it was much easier working wet, and in small sections. I re-did the ceiling (which was not perfect) using a thick ceiling cover (somewhat heavier than joint compound) rolling it on with a plastic loop covered roller, let it dry slightly then troweled over with a large wallboard finishing knife. The result is referred to as Angel's Lace and it leaves a slight texture on the ceiling with no bumps or sharp peaks. Happy home repair!

Comment

The level of difficulty and chances of success depends on the nature of the texture.

At the risk of oversimplifying this, the texture will either soften with water or it will not.

If it softens with water it can be removed with a garden sprayer and Spackle knife. The surface can painted or otherwise decorated.

However, more times than not the texture will have a resinous binder, or will be painted over with paint. These products cure through a chemical process (Coalescence, Evaporation, or Oxidation) and do not rewet with water.

There are chemical removers on the market for these types of resins, but the concept of using chemicals over head to remove cured resin from the facing paper of the drywall is not for the faint of heart.

It may be easier to remove the texture by scraping or sanding. Water can be used to minimize dust only. Drop cloths, Dust Masks and Patients are a must.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =