Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove paint from my brick fireplace?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove paint from my brick fireplace?

They painted the brick fireplace, and I would like to restore the look of the brick.

It depends on what kind of paint it is. But whether it is latex or oil, you need some sort of masonry cleaner. Check out http://www.ebricksolutions.com/resto...ovingpaint.htm orlook for other masonry cleaning supplies. It looks like you just put that on for a few hours and then scrub.... Let us know how it works.[8D]

Patricia
    Patricia

Comment

I can vouch for Patricia's response. About two years ago my wife embarked on the same journey. We had a fireplace that the previous owners had painted a few times. The last homeowner painted it with a semigloss pepto-bismol pink. We could have painted ofer it one more time but it woud have looked even worse as the brick had rounded edges due to the thickness of the paint. The pink needed to go. In our case, we didn't plan to get all the way down to the brick, just to get enough paint off that another coat wouldn't look so caked on. So, we got plenty of plastic to cover the floor and nearby walls, eye goggles, a drywall screening mask, some Citristrip paint remover and picked a hot day so we could leave the windows open (fumes even the nice smalling orange stuff are bad news). Then my wife sat down for about two days of hard elbow grease consuming work. She used a wire brush to dig into the brick's nooks and crannies. In general it worked, but only about 95% of the paint the came off. There was still some stuff that was left here and there deep in the brick. Hope this gives you a little more insight. I wouldn't say "don't do it", but you should be prepared for a good deal of work. Especially if you plan to use the brick bare.

Comment

I have used Multi-Strip paint remover recently to remove tons of layers of paint from my woodwork. I friend of mine used the Multi-Strip7 (I think that was the number) to remove the paint from her brick mantle. The product worked great for both of us. Be prepared for some serious scrubbing with a wire brush though!! Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =