Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to leave 1/4 inch space at bottom of drywal

I recently hung drywall in the basement. I saw on here that you should leave a 1/4" space at the bottom to prevent moisture from climbing up the drywall. Well, I didn't do that. Is there any way to cut this other than to go around the room with a utility knife?
    Thanks for any help you can provide!

You could get by with 1/8". Just use a keyhole saw along the floor if it is just concrete. If you have flooring you wouldn't want to mar it up with the saw however. Try it to see how it compares to the utility knife.

Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    How to tape and finish dryall. Tutorials and videos for taping joints and drywall repair.
    Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

If your concerns were based on what you’ve read rather than any previous experience of damp penetration in your basement I wouldn’t worry about it over much.

That said, if you need the piece of mind that doing the job correctly provides I’ve listed some alternate solutions below:

1. If the boards are have been screwed, take them down and reduce individually before re-installing.

If the boards can’t be removed try one of these options:

2. Using a 1/4" spacing block as a guide, slice through the bottom of the boards with a utility knife* (be warned - even a sharp blade requires a number of passes before the waste can be fully removed). **

3. If all else fails why not go for the easiest solution of all - just seal the bottom of the boards with silicone!

Hope this helps

Terry

*Removing the machined edge from plasterboard is never a good idea (especially so where it meets a basement floor) and should be avoided wherever possible. Okay, the factory sealed edge only adds a little extra protection but some has got to be better than none at all!

**Although it is possible to perform this operation by sliding the body of the knife around the floor on its own, the use of a spacing block helps avoid painful finger skin loss!

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!
      www.easycarpentry.com

Comment

Working...
      X
      =