Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fixing some walls (cracks, painting, and more!)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing some walls (cracks, painting, and more!)

I've been living in this room for a couple of months, thinking it was temporary, but now I'll probably be here for 2 or 3 more years so I want to fix it up a bit. The people that lived here before did a pretty crappy job with it, all the walls are different shades (one of them is white instead of pink even) so I want to make it look better. I'm wondering if I can fix it where the lines ( as seen below) aren't visible. I've never really done any sort of home improvement type thing so I'm pretty clueless right now.

Another problem... as you can see, the door isn't anywhere near level. Any ways to fix this?

On one wall there's a noticeable gap between the wall and ceiling.

I think this is just the paint flaking off, but I haven't been up there to check yet (the ceiling is 10' so I can't see it clearly without a ladder)

And last but not least, the unused door to the room. It leads outside, and I guess they decided they didn't want to use it so they just duct-taped it up (to keep the breeze out I guess). I'm not sure what I can do with this to make it look better. I could move my desk and actually use the door, though I would prefer if it was just a wall.

Basically, at the moment the room looks terrible and I wouldn't want to bring anyone over. The people that painted it before painted everything... outlets, door handles, lightswitch covers (even the switches themselves). I want to basically fix the cracks (lines) up, repaint the room to look decent, replace all of the stuff that was painted over, and replace the current (ugly) ceiling fan. Is all of that stuff that I can do on my own? Will it be expensive? I've never even painted a room, so any help would be appreciated.

OK the whole door casing needs replacement as well as the door. In one foto you have where you say paint's peeling, the cardboard of the sheetrock is coming undone - sheetrock needs replacing. cracks between the sheetrock sheets. Tape the joints and feather out the mud to about 18 inches out from center maybe more to give a smooth look. Near the ceiling apply mud and paper tape and feather out a good distance from the corner. Not used door - remove door and casing - use 2x4 framing and build a wall - use batt type insulation and sheetrock - tape joints and paint. use 1/2 inch cdx plywood outside and your finish siding.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =