Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rounded corner with plaster help

I'm redoing my 100 year house in philly and I ran into a delemma. I chipped away the plaster at the bottom of the 1st floor stair wall where it meets the hallway. I was just planning on replastering alittle, but the more I chipped out the harder it looked to repair.

The corners are my problem, they're rounded and I cant figure out how to plaster them. Should I just buy metal or plastic corner bead and flatten out the round edge? I'm not too concerned about the roundness, but if I can redo the corner in reasonable amount of time at the lest expense possible I'd like to keep it.

Is it possible to plaster over wood? Or should I bring the plaster level with the edge then joint compound the rounded section?

HELP!

Jamie

what you'll find is the corner is really a piece of quarter round wood moulding painted white or whatever the wall color is. You can leave the corner there and make a square corner using paper tape or pre manufactured paper n plastic corner bead. OR use a metal corner bead and tack it in place. Then use mud in layers to build up a thickness and sand smooth.

Comment

First of thanks for the quick reply, now my only concern about the corner bead being tacked in that it wont have anything to sink into for a good hold. All the plaster around is pretty thick and there isnt a solid wood surface to nail in to.

Now would this work:

Do my plaster until its even with the quater round then coat the rounded edge with joint compound, thus allowing me to sand smooth? Or should I just try the corner bead?

Comment

They make a manufactured corner that is made of paper and plastic. It is preformed into a 90 degree and uses a paper similar to regular taping paper. What you do is either glue it in place with a high tack adhesive or a layer of mud and embed the corner into the mud. Then you finish the corner after the intial coat dries.

Comment

I'll definatley check it out. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =