Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patching a Large Hole in Plaster

To all you experienced people out there, this is going to sound like a really stupid question. I just remodeled my kitchen and to install a new phone, I will have to relocate the phone jsck plate that is mounted on my plastered wall. I removed the old plate today only to discover that it was mounted using those spring type expanders that go through the plaster and then expand against the back of the wall as you tighten the two very long screws. Of course I do not want to remount the new plate using this method, but now will have to patch the two (about 5/8") holes that go all the way through the plaster board. I think to do this I will need some kind of backing to hold the joint compound in place until it dries for sanding. Can anyone please tell me the proper and professional way to plug these holes so that I can lower the location of the jack plate? I sure would be thankful for any help you can give me. I thought of buying some corks and wittling them down to fit the holes and then driving them in a little below the surface of the plaster so that I could used some joint compound to make the job look good. Again thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me.

Ron Galloway

Okay...it's easy. You need two ballons....one for each hole. Oh yeah, a couple peices of cardboard cut in an oval that would fit through the hole vertically, but would catch horizontally....5/8" hole=5/8" wide x 2"...cut a 1/4" hole in the middle of those and slip the ballon ends through...keep a good grip on the balloon end and feed the cardboard through the hole. Blow up the balloon 'till it captures the cardboard against the wall and knot the balloon. Plaster over it and let dry. Gently razor out any balloon stuff that peeks through. Sand and finishcoat plaster and paint...

Comment

That's a good repair idea Bob. Never thought of that! As far as refastening the mounting plate - get those new screw fasteners that self tap into the drywall. You use a phillips screwdriver to drive the fastenr base into the drywall and a small self tapping screw goes into the adapter

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!! I will give it a shot. HayZee, do the screws you are talking about have a professional name?

Thanks again!!

Comment

I can't for the life of me think of the name of them but I drew a diagram of what they look like. If this posting is still up in the nexr few days I'll remember to look when I go to a hardware store.

Comment

Thanks, HayZee, for the beautiful picture!!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =