Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting exterior brick w/ a paint sprayer

We have decided to paint the exterior of our brick house in order to mask a few odd additions and make the whole thing look more tied together. We think we'd like to use a paint sprayer of some sort but aren't sure what type to use. This is a big job as we have to prime the brick and mortar first then apply two coats of paint. We want to try to get it done before the weather gets too cold this fall. Any suggestions on what sort of paint sprayer we should be in the market for?

dbrownsh,

I would at least recommend painting the primer on with a brush first to ensure a good bond and longer lasting results. Also make sure you don't plug any of the drain holes at the bottom, they are there to let any water out from behind the bricks. As for the brand of sprayer , consult with your local paint store to see what they carry/recommend/service.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

I agree with Jimmer and have a few things to add.

First, remember there is no turning back once you paint brick.

Surface preparation is critical. Power wash with a detergent to remove loose mortar, dirt and mildew. Don’t forget to rinse.

I would recommend 100% acrylic water base primer and topcoat. The water-based products are more permeable and this should minimize peeling. Also oil (alkyd) based paints can soponify (soften) if applied over highly alkaline surfaces (new mortar). Also, in the long run some oil-based products oxidize and become brittle. Oil based products have their place, just not here.

I would use an airless sprayer. There are many on the market. Since you have a lot of surface area to coat, I recommend renting a professional one from your local paint store. Wear appropriate personal protection and follow the precautions on the airless sprayer.

To save time on the application, you can back roll or brush the primer into the brick while it is still wet.

Do not paint unless the temperature is above 60 degrees with low wind to avoid over spray. Do not underestimate how far wind can carry over spray.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =