Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowed basement wall

Our basement wall, which is not a load bearing wall, is cracked and bowed.

When we purchased the house about 15 years ago, the basement walls were finished, so we were not aware of the extent of the problem. We are now trying to remodel our basement and have stripped the walls.

It is apparent that someone has tried to repair some of the cracks in the past. I can't say for certain, but I don't think the wall has worsened since we bought it. The basement has been dry the entire time we have lived here, but there are stress cracks in the wall in the upper level.

Over the years we have had different contractors in our basement and have received differing opinions. The majority don't seem to think it is a major problem, however, some believe the wall could cave in.

In addition, on the other side of this wall, on the outside, there is a 24' X 34' slab (we had it poured about 10 years ago) that we are getting ready to build an attached garage on.

Here is what I would like advice on:

1. Should this be repaired?

2. How costly is this to repair?

3. What is the best way to repair this?

I've never heard of anyone's basement wall caving in, but perhaps it does happen.

Thanks for your help!

Keep an eye on it! If water or wet freezing soil is pushing this wall in, the solution is not easy. An "cheap and ugly" remedy I have seen consists of a big I-beam support fastened sideways from the inside. A permanant more appealing remedy "might" consist of digging up all around the foundation and installing a drain tile system plus doing foundation repair or replacement.

If you live in a very cold climate and you insulate your basement wall, freezing soil can push your wall in.

This matter really requires a trained professional. One needs to know your drainage situation and other factors.

Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    How to tape and finish dryall. Tutorials and videos for taping joints and drywall repair.
    Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

I agree with the putting in of drain tile along the outside of the wall. It seems as hydrostatic pressure is pushing the wall. Its hard to imagine so little water at atmospheric pressure actually pushing something like concrete enough to bow or crack it! But apply a change in temperature to like freezing and it will crack concrete! Check out these humongous chunks of rock next to road excavations and see them split and sliding off due to water freezing in their cracks. Then apply this theory to your concrete wall - no difference.

Comment

I've heard horror stories of heavy equipment getting too close to a house and buckling the basement wall, too. Is there a yard access on that side of the house?

Comment

Working...
        X
        =