Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outside corners?

What's the best way to fill in and level a "dinged" outside corner where two sheetrock walls meet? Somebody probably whacked it with something they were carrying around the corner.
    It looks like they tried to fix it by filling in the damaged area with joint compound but they didn't get it right. It's not even and is very obvious.
    I want to paint that room but the damage will show through.
    Should I sand it down, cover the corner with some kind of bead and compound over that?

Thanks for any help,

Dan
    Dan

Sheetrock corner

Does the existing corner look like it has a metal corner embedded in the mud? If so, then trying to remove it and replacing it will be more of a pain then worth it. At home depot they have a preformed plastic and paper corner bead. It is a thin plastic corner, adhered to a paper tape backer. You can embed this paper in mud. What I would do is coat the corner with contact cement and a brush. Coat the corner also with glue and after it has dried, carefully align it and press into place on the corner. Then mud over the paper and feather it, then prime and paint.

Comment

Thanks

There is a metal cornerbead already embedded but it looks like, however it happened, the bead is dented. (must've hit it with something heavy) I'll probably just go to HD and get the plastic/paper bead you mentioned and put it up like you said.

Before I do that, I'll try to patch it up and see how it looks
      Dan

Comment

Why not fix it right and cut out the damaged metal corner bead, replace the cut out section and mud it back up. Putting the paper corner bead over the dinged up metal corner bead is going to be hard to hide. Seems to me it sure would take alot of drywall compound to feather that back in right so it's unnoticeable. That's how I was taught anyhow.

Comment

OK, my thoughts along those lines is - that if the corner bead is dinged, applying compound in the dented area really has nothing to hold on to. Over time it may just fall out necessitating another repair. The plastic corner bead will form a new corner over the dent.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =