Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall addition in finished basement

I want to add 2 walls to a previously finished basement. One wall will run perpindicular to an existing wall and the other will run alongside a soffit housing some ducting. These 2 new walls will create an additional room. They will span approx 10'. Presently there is carpet glued directly on the concrete floor and the ceiling is of the suspended type.

Can I attach my first stud directly to the gyprok or do I need to expose the studs and attach to them?
    Do I need to expose the framing of the soffit to attach my top plate to or can I just attach it to the gyprok?

Is there a building code to adhere to when just adding walls that are not load bearing?

Craig

Originally posted by craignlisa
    I want to add 2 walls to a previously finished basement. One wall will run perpindicular to an existing wall
    Ideally, for the top plate, you should attach to the framing above the "T" bar.

[/QUOTE]Can I attach my first stud directly to the gyprok or do I need to expose the studs and attach to them?
    Do I need to expose the framing of the soffit to attach my top plate to or can I just attach it to the gyprok?[/QUOTE]

For the wall attachment, if you used continuos blocking you will have three points of attachment.
    However, for this I would recommend using steel studs. When you attach to the wall you use you drive 1-5/8" screws through the stud conners at an angel, opposing each other.
    For the floor attachment you can use "TAPCONS" or ramset pins.

[/QUOTE]Is there a building code to adhere to when just adding walls that are not load bearing?[/QUOTE]

Nothing that is not normaly required: Light switched within 6' of a doorway, conv. recep. every 12', if it is to be used for sleeping, to forms of egress, smoke detector.

Craig[/QUOTE]
    Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Working...
    X
    =