Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace paneling in a 3 season room

I have a 3 season room where most of the walls are windows. there is some paneling below the window( about 1 1/2 feet tall). There are metal rails that are around the paneling. I have unscrewed many screws but the rails still are not coming loose. I could take a picture if needed.

Any idea of how to loosen these rails to replace the paneling.

Thanks,
    Ben

What you have is a common failure of these type of panel systems.
    Since these panels are a sandwich of the exterior panel, a honeycomb of carboard or foam or some other inert material and the interior tempered masonite or luan panel as a glued assembly and are "sequence" assembled on site.

First you'll need to correct the condition that allowed the leak that caused the deterioration. Then decide if you want to go to the trouble of disassembly and replacement of the whole bottom panel or if you just want to peal off and replace just the interior panel.

Both the interior and exterior material as well as the entire sandwich are available.
    Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

I have already fixed the source of the water, just a leaky window. Now I just want to replace the paneling inside. BUt I can not figure how to get the paneling out from behind the black rails.

Ben

Comment

You'll need to cut it and remove it in pieces, pealing it away from the honeycomb, taking caution to retain the integrity of the honeycomb, as much as possible.
        You'll find the the replacement material is fairly maliable and prudent sizing will allow you the fit the new material in to give you a satisfactory finish.
        Don't forget to glue the new to the honeycomb, liquid nails will give you a longer working time. A couple dobs should do it.
        Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Working...
        X
        =